SportOther Sport
SHORT SPORT

Short Sport, February 7, 2013

Thursday, 07 February, 2013, 12:00am

Marussia names Razia to all-rookie line-up

Russian-owned Formula One team Marussia will have an all-rookie line-up this season after announcing that Brazilian Luiz Razia will join fellow British GP2 star Max Chilton on the grid this year. Razia, a reserve driver for the team in 2010, said it was "fantastic" to be back on the team. He said the past two GP2 seasons had been about "proving that I have what it takes" and this season will be about "rewarding the faith the team has shown in me". Marussia team principal John Booth said: "We are fielding a young but incredibly ambitious pairing and we look forward to seeing what they can achieve." AP

 

Cardinals' Carpenter likely out for 2013

Former Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter will likely miss the 2013 Major League Baseball campaign due to a nagging shoulder injury that kept him out most of last season, the St Louis Cardinals said. "Do I envision Carp returning? I would say it's very unlikely, so no," said Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak. A three-time All-Star with a 144-94 career record since his MLB debut in 1997, Carpenter, 38, won the Cy Young Award in 2005 as the National League's top pitcher and has won two World Series titles with the Cardinals. Reuters

 

Nadal stages comeback with doubles victory

Rafael Nadal made a successful comeback to tennis after a seven-month injury absence with victory in the first round of the doubles at the Chilean Open in Vina del Mar. The former world No1 and Argentine partner Juan Monaco overpowered second-seeded Czechs Frantisek Cermak and Lukas Dlouhy 6-3, 6-2. "It's a good feeling to be back. We'll see how the knee reacts," Nadal said. "Playing doubles is less aggressive, so we'll see how things go tomorrow in singles." Reuters

 

AFL probes Essendon over supplements

The Australian Anti-Doping Agency and the Australian Football League are investigating the high-profile Essendon club over supplements given to players as part of their fitness programme last season. Security guards kept fans and the media out of the club's training facility yesterday, the morning after Essendon management notified the AFL of their concerns and Asada was called in to investigate. No details of the supplements have been released, although former Essendon player Kyle Reimers has accused the club of pushing the boundaries with supplement use. The 2013 season starts this month. AP

Login

SCMP.com Account

or