Sports Digest, February 18, 2013

PUBLISHED : Monday, 18 February, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 18 February, 2013, 3:15am

Tyson, Holyfield bury hatchet at supermarket

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield stood toe to toe again - only this time there were hugs and smiles, and no bites to the ear. Instead, they were like old friends meeting in a supermarket, which is what they did. They were at a store in Chicago, where Holyfield was signing autographs and promoting his barbecue sauce. Tyson, in town performing his one-man show, made a cameo. "I just wanted to see Evander, man," Tyson said. "I love Evander. I'm forever linked with him for the rest of my life." Tyson, who bit off a piece of Holyfield's ear during a fight, is baring his soul on stage, documenting his rise to the heavyweight championship and subsequent fall from grace. AP


Proteas overpower Pakistan to seal series

Saeed Ajmal's 10-wicket match haul proved in vain as South Africa beat Pakistan by four wickets inside four days yesterday at Newlands in Cape Town to take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match cricket series. After their bowlers took Pakistan's last six wickets for just 22 runs in the first two sessions of the day, the Proteas barely looked troubled in chasing 182, with Hashim Amla scoring 58. South Africa have now won their last six series, and are unbeaten in 12. They have not lost a five-day match since December 2011 - 14 games ago - and have won their last six. Pakistan were left to regret an opportunity missed, given that they had reduced South Africa to 109 for five in the first innings. AP


Shin prevails to take Australian Open crown

South Korea's Shin Ji-yai won the Australian Women's Golf Open by two shots, finishing with a one-under 72 to break out of an overnight tie for the lead with teenage star Lydia Ko. Shin mixed three birdies with two bogeys in a final-round dogfight with Ko and world No 1 Tseng Ya-ni of Taiwan, adding the Australian title to her two British Opens among 37 professional victories. "I'm really surprised," Shin said. "There are so many good players here so I'm really happy to play well. I can't explain at the moment. I just feel excited." Ko finished three over for the day and 14 under for the tournament in third place. "I had a few struggles with my drives but … I can't play good every single round," Ko said. AP


Late goal spree puts South China in charge

A late two-goal blast gave South China a 3-0 victory against struggling Sunray Cave JC Sun Hei in the first leg of the quarter-finals of the Hong Kong FA Cup. It took South China until the 73rd minute to break the deadlock at Hong Kong Stadium to go one ahead, with Auyeung Yiu-chung finding the target. The league leaders were not done, however, and doubled their tally in the 89th minute through Carlos Bertoldi, before Manoel Filho put the result beyond doubt with a goal in added time. That gave the Caroliners a healthy lead going into the second leg on March 9. In yesterday's other match, Yokohama FC held Wofoo Tai Po to a goalless draw at Tai Po Sports Ground. Unus Alladin