• Fri
  • Oct 31, 2014
  • Updated: 12:09am
SportOther Sport
SPORTS DIGEST

Sports Digest, March 6, 2013

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 06 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 06 March, 2013, 3:38am
 

Sun Hei slip up in AFC Cup campaign

Sunray Cave Sun Hei took an early hit in their AFC Cup campaign as they went down 1-0 to New Radiant of the Maldives at National Stadium in Male last night. With top scorer Manadou Barry absent, the Hong Kong Senior Shield champions failed to create any serious threats and the hosts enjoyed more possession. Umair Mohamed scored the only goal midway through the second half. New Radiant join Myanmar's Yangon United - who beat Indonesia's Persibo 3-0 last week - at the top of group F. Sun Hei host Yangon United at Mong Kok Stadium next Tuesday. Chan Kin-wa

 

Asian Le Mans series launched in Hong Kong

Organisers have hailed the Asian Le Mans series as a huge development for motor racing in the region after the endurance competition was launched in Hong Kong yesterday. The series will comprise six races - in China, South Korea, Japan and Indonesia - between May and December. Official testing will take place at Zhuhai International Circuit on 29 and 30 April. The series opens with three races in China - Zhuhai (5 May), Shanghai (26 May) and Ordos (7 July) - followed by Inje (4 August), Fuji (22 September) and Sentul (8 December). Staff Reporter

 

Gaza marathon hit by Hamas ban on women

A UN aid agency cancelled the Gaza marathon after the Palestinian territory's militant Hamas rulers banned women from participating in the annual sporting event. The UNWRA - which assists Palestinian refugees, and also sponsors and organises the marathon - announced that plans for the race next month had been scrapped because of the Hamas demand that women be barred. A statement from the agency said "this disappointing decision follows discussions with the authorities in Gaza who have insisted that no women should participate". AP

 

McIlroy regrets pulling out of Honda Classic

World golf No1 Rory McIlroy says he regrets withdrawing from the PGA Tour's Honda Classic, and if he had to do it over again, he would have stuck it out. "It was a reactive decision," McIlroy said. "What I should have done is take my drop, chip it on, try to make a five and play my hardest on the back nine, even if I shot 85. What I did was not good for the tournament, not good for the kids and the fans who were out there watching me - it was not the right thing to do." McIlroy expects to have a troublesome wisdom tooth pulled following the US Open in June. AFP

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or