Fury over gang-rape of Malaysia Games official

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 11 July, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 11 July, 2013, 3:49am

The alleged gang rape of a female official by three handball players has rocked Malaysia's sports community, as officials yesterday demanded tough punishment for the perpetrators.

Sieh Koh Chi, secretary-general of the Olympic Council of Malaysia, said he was "shocked" by the incident on July 3 at the Malaysia Games, a competition between the country's different states. "Swift investigations must be carried out," he said.

Zolkples Embong, national sports council director-general, said the 19-year-old was semi-conscious when she was allegedly raped repeatedly at the games village.

She had been acting as a communications liaison officer for the Federal Territories girl's handball team.

Three male handball players, aged between 18 and 19, were arrested last Friday to help in the inquiry.

National police spokesman Ramli Yoosuf said police investigations were continuing but declined to elaborate.

Peter Velappan, former Asian Football Confederation general secretary, said the "outrageous" incident was the first of its kind in Malaysian sports and had tarnished the country.

Offenders must face "severe punishment", he said.


Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)