• Tue
  • Sep 23, 2014
  • Updated: 1:19am
SportOther Sport

Former Hong Kong cricket coach Lou Vincent under investigation for fixing

35-year-old and two other ex-Black Caps are involved in probe by cricket's world body

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 05 December, 2013, 10:05pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 05 December, 2013, 10:05pm
 

Former Hong Kong batting coach and New Zealand test opening batsman Lou Vincent has confirmed he is one of three former Black Caps being investigated by the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption and security unit over possible match- or spot-fixing.

The 35-year-old Vincent, who had a brief stint here in 2012 and has also played at the Hong Kong Sixes, issued a statement to say, "I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC anti-corruption investigation that has been made public today".

He said he was unable to make further comment and asked for privacy while the investigation continued. He played the last of 23 tests for New Zealand in 2007.

I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC anti-corruption investigation that has been made public today
Lou Vincent

Former all-rounder Chris Cairns, who was also named by New Zealand media as being under investigation, refused to confirm those claims.

In his only statement, he said: "We need to let the investigation by the ICC run its course".

Cairns had been due to provide television commentary on the test between New Zealand and the West Indies at Dunedin on Thursday, but left the ground unexpectedly during the day.

The New Zealand Herald newspaper revealed three New Zealanders were under investigation in what it described as "the biggest sports scandal in New Zealand's history". The newspaper's online edition named Vincent, Cairns and pace bowler Daryl Tuffey.

It said officials from the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit had been in New Zealand over the past four months conducting an investigation.

New Zealand Cricket later confirmed that three New Zealanders were under investigation, saying it knew their names, but could not identify the players while the judicial process was taking place.

Chief executive David White said none of the matches under investigation involved the New Zealand team or took place in New Zealand.

New Zealand Cricket Players' Association head Heath Mills called on the players involved to identify themselves, to prevent suspicion falling on all former New Zealand players.

"We're not happy that other past players are coming under suspicion," Mills said.

"We are working with New Zealand Cricket to see what we can do about that. We are also conscious of the fact NZC and the ICC are bound by rules and regulations around confidentiality. In effect the onus falls on those who are the subject of the investigation."

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or