Mahendra Singh Dhoni has no regrets over James Anderson charge
Indian captain defends team's complaint as the right action after spat with Jadeja, but Cook says it is a ploy to get England seamer banned
India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni insisted his side were right to complain about the conduct of England's James Anderson.
The 31-year-old seamer was charged by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on Tuesday for allegedly "abusing and pushing" India's Ravindra Jadeja during last week's drawn first test at Trent Bridge.
If the charge is upheld, Anderson could be banned for as many as four tests, which would end his involvement in the series.
The ICC confirmed England had charged Jadeja in response.
On the opening day of the second test at Lords, England had reduced the visitors to 145 for seven on a bowler-friendly pitch early in the final session, but Ajinkya Rahane’s 103, along with support from number nine Bhuvneshwar Kumar (36), ensured India had rallied to 290 for nine at the close.
Before the start, England captain Alastair Cook suggested at a prematch press conference yesterday at Lord's that India's complaint had been a deliberate tactic to get Anderson banned from the rest of the five-match series.
However, Dhoni - speaking later at Lord's - said: "We felt what happened was wrong, so we went ahead with the charges.
"It's not something that we have done. Let's realise the fact.
"In a press conference, you can ask me tough questions. I have the right to answer them or not to answer them, but in no way can I go and touch you or you can come and touch me," the wicketkeeper and batsman added.
"It was good on Jadeja's part to not really do something.
"It could have gone a bit far, but I felt he addressed this in the most appropriate manner.
"Someone has to back off at the right time. At the end of the day we play sport and lot of people look up to us, and there is a lot of responsibility on us."
On Wednesday, Cook had accused India of making a "mountain out of a molehill" in an effort to try to get Anderson banned for the series.
"I think so, I think that's pretty much where it's come from," Cook said.
"It's probably a little bit of a tactic by India. For Jimmy, all the lads will rally round him. He's a stalwart of our side."
Cook said he believed completely the version of events that Anderson had told him, but that, under ICC regulations, he could not reveal the conversation.
The incident involving Anderson and Jadeja is said to have happened after the players left the field for lunch on the second day of the first test, when the Indians were batting, as the teams entered the narrow corridor of the Trent Bridge pavilion.