31 athletes risk Rio ban after retesting of samples from Beijing Games: IOC

A re-examination of 454 specimens uncovered new cases, but names will not be made public until the B sample is retested and 250 from London Games also will come under scrutiny

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 17 May, 2016, 11:24pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 18 May, 2016, 1:00am

Thirty-one athletes from 12 countries failed doping tests after new analysis of samples taken from the 2008 Beijing Olympics and could be banned from the Rio Games, the IOC said on Tuesday.

The 31 athletes in six sports were among 454 samples retested following a new wave of doping scandals to hit international sport.

All those athletes infringing anti-doping rules will be banned from competing at ... Rio 2016
IOC statement

An IOC official told Reuters that no names would be made public at this stage until athletes had been informed and a second sample, or B sample, tested as well.

The IOC said it would inform the relevant national Olympic committees in the coming days.

The International Olympic Committee executive board “today agreed unanimously to initiate proceedings immediately”, said an IOC statement.

“All those athletes infringing anti-doping rules will be banned from competing at the Olympic Games Rio 2016.”

The new tests focused on athletes who could take part in the Rio Olympics, which start on August 5.

The IOC said “the very latest scientific analysis methods” were used for the new examination of the samples.

The results from 250 retests from samples taken at the 2012 London Games are due “shortly” and mean the total number of failures could increase.

The IOC also warned that it will start “a wider retesting programme of medallists from Beijing and London. The samples of those athletes who could be awarded medals following the disqualification of others will also be retested”.

The IOC board demanded that the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) start “a fully fledged investigation” into allegations that samples taken at the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 were “subverted” by Russian athletes.

IOC president Thomas Bach called the allegations made against the Sochi laboratory “worrying”.

The statement said new tests of Sochi samples will be carried out at the Lausanne anti-doping laboratory, where the Sochi samples are stored for 10 years.

“We keep samples for 10 years, so that the cheats know that they can never rest,” Bach said.

“All these measures are a powerful strike against the cheats we do not allow to win,” he added.

“They show once again that dopers have no place to hide.”

Bach called the new measures “another major step to protect the clean athletes irrespective of any sport or any nation”.