image

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

Defeated Daniel Cormier vows: ‘I will find a way to get back in the octagon with Jon Jones’

Former champion breaks his silence after heavy knockout loss to arch rival at UFC 214

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 15 August, 2017, 3:48pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 15 August, 2017, 3:54pm

UFC star Daniel Cormier finally broke his silence on Monday night more than two weeks after losing his light heavyweight world title in the highly anticipated rematch against the returning Jon “Bones” Jones at UFC 214.

In a wide-ranging interview, Cormier admitted that there was still a period of some ten minutes from that night that he can’t remember and that he suspects he suffered a concussion during his devastating knockout loss to 30-year-old Jones in Anaheim, California.

Cormier, who has enjoyed a fierce rivalry with Jones since they first fought in Las Vegas at UFC 182, said that he thinks his and Jones’ paths will cross again and that he will work hard to make that a reality.

“I have to accept that I did not get the job done,” said the former Olympic wrestler. “I am going to have to do something very special to get the opportunity to do it again. And I’m going to.

“I am honestly going to work hard to find a way to get myself locked back in the octagon with that man [Jones]. I have to,” added Cormier.

It’s not known if Jones himself has any desire to add a third chapter to their story after two wins against the California-native. But it would be sure to be another box office smash if the pair were to face off again.

Jones won the first fight back in 2015 by a unanimous decision. The second fight had been an enthralling and tactical affair until Jones caught Cormier with a devastating head kick before moving in and pounding him until the referee stopped the fight.

At 38-years-old, some in the sport had wondered if the former champion would call it a day, and in the immediate aftermath of his loss to Jones, Cormier had suggested as much saying: “I guess there’s no rivalry [with Jones] because I lost twice.”

But a period away from the sport following the loss seems to have cleared Cormier’s thinking.

Jon Jones wins Daniel Cormier’s UFC title in emphatic style with third round KO in grudge rematch

“Why would I stop fighting? I still love the competition more than anything. That’s what drives me.

“I love to compete,” Cormier said in an interview with MMA analyst Ariel Helwani.

“Not only am I going to fight again, but I believe that Jon Jones and I will fight again. I believe that he and I will fight again before it’s all said and done,” Cormier added.

As far as his immediate future is concerned, Cormier suggested he could take a break from fighting for the remainder of 2017.

“I think that’s a pretty safe bet [that I wont fight again this year]. I’m going to spend some time with my family.”

Cormier revealed he had not yet watched a replay of the fight saying he wasn’t sure if he was “emotionally” ready to view the denouement.