image

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

Conor McGregor plans return to UFC for his next fight

MMA star scoffs at idea of following Ronda Rousey to WWE and says he will be back in the octagon instead of a boxing ring

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 17 December, 2017, 10:16am
UPDATED : Sunday, 17 December, 2017, 10:16am

Forget about Conor McGregor stepping back into the boxing ring any time soon. It appears the 29-year-old will head back to fight in the octagon, not the squared circle.

After a night on the town in New York, TMZ caught up with McGregor who said, “I think a true fight is what I want to do next. A real fight … MMA next”.

There had been talk of a McGregor-Manny Pacquiao fight, but that talk quickly ended when UFC president Dana White threatened to sue Pacquiao, according to ESPN. McGregor remains under contract with the UFC.

The last time McGregor fought he stepped into the ring at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas to take on Floyd Mayweather Jnr.

He suffered a TKO loss on that August night, but many thought he performed admirably and might stay in boxing for more lucrative contracts.

The fight against Mayweather did 4.3 million buys, making it the second biggest fight in history.

McGregor scoffed at the idea of fighting in WWE, using an expletive to say, no, he wasn’t going to follow in Ronda Rousey’s footsteps.