Juventus look to extend Serie A lead against Sampdoria | South China Morning Post
  • Sun
  • Mar 1, 2015
  • Updated: 4:28pm
SportSoccer
ITALIAN SOCCER

Juventus look to extend Serie A lead against Sampdoria

Juventus look to extend lead at home; Milan abandon friendly after racist chanting

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 05 January, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 05 January, 2013, 3:09am

Champions Juventus welcome Sampdoria tomorrow looking to extend their Serie A lead while Italian league officials reel from the latest racist incidents to mar the country's stadiums.

Juventus went into the winter break with an eight-point cushion on Lazio after pre-Christmas title rivals Inter Milan were unexpectedly held at home by Genoa, with Fiorentina cementing third place with a 3-0 away win away to Palermo.

With Inter now fourth, nine points off the pace, and fellow title challengers Napoli a massive 10 points adrift in fifth, the Old Lady of Turin has some room to breathe.

While their reported search for an out-and-out striker continues, Juventus have moved to provide cover for recently injured defender Giorgio Chiellini by signing Atalanta's Federico Peluso.

Peluso has only been handed a loan deal until the end of the season with an option to remain in Turin, but Juve's prestige in Italian football is such that Rome-born Peluso declared: "It's a dream come true."

The winter break, for some, however, will not be remembered for goodwill.

During a post-Christmas friendly against Pro Patria, Milan's Ghanaian midfielder Kevin Prince Boateng responded to racist chanting from some sections of the crowd in sensational fashion.

When it all got too much, he attempted to kick the ball at the racist fans, took off his shirt and left the pitch, followed by the rest of the Rossoneri. Boateng was backed by AC Milan, who on Thursday declared there is no room for racism in modern day football.

Ahead of their hosting of lowly Siena on Sunday, coach Massimiliano Allegri told acmilan.com: "These racist episodes have to end. Walking off was the correct decision to make after the racist chants.

"We have promised Pro Patria that we will come back ... but we had to give a strong signal against these episodes.

"I hope it helps set an example from the top leagues down. We had no other option but to walk off, which I hope will have repercussions. I sincerely hope these uncivilized acts do not occur again."

Milan sit seventh, 17 points behind Juventus, and will host Siena without one of their main Brazilian stars, Alexandre Pato, who signed for Corinthians on Thursday for a reported fee of €15 million pending a medical.

Pato had been used sparingly by coach Massimiliano Allegri in recent months, leading to speculation that both he and compatriot Robinho, who shone for Milan prior to Christmas following recovery from injury, were on their way out.

Transfer talk has not spared city rivals Inter, meanwhile.

Andrea Stramaccioni's side kick-start 2013 with the backdrop of Wesley Sneijder's expected departure in the January transfer window, and nine points adrift of Juve having been only four behind in mid-December.

Despite having the edge, on paper, over Udinese, veteran Inter defender Javier Zanetti admits Sunday's game could be crucial as the nerazzurri go about closing the gap as well as challenging for the Italian Cup.

"It's a big gap but you never know in football," the Argentinian told the club's website.

"We have to keep believing it's possible all the way and hope that we're still in with a shout heading into the last month.

"We're going to give it everything we've got in all the competitions then we'll see where it gets us."

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or