I won’t quit, says embattled Villa boss Lambert
Defiant Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert insisted on Saturday that he will not quit despite seeing his side suffer a second cup humiliation in four days against lower-ranked opposition.
Premier League Villa were knocked out of the FA Cup by second-tier Millwall on Friday. The 2-1 fourth round shocker came hot on the heels of Tuesday’s League Cup semi-final loss at the hands of fourth division Bradford.
“I’m not a quitter, I’ll keep going,” Lambert told Sky Sports.
“I thought we dominated the game and I don’t think we should have lost, at the very worst it should have been a replay.
“I thought it was going to peter out to a replay. We’ll take the knock but you have to come back strongly.”
Lambert has endured a torrid time since leaving Norwich to take charge at Villa Park in the close-season. His team is hovering just above the relegation zone.
Villa desperately needed a victory at the Den to get back on track after that humiliation and looked on course when Darren Bent opened the scoring midway through the first half.
But Nigerian defender Danny Shittu headed Millwall level soon after Bent’s goal and young striker John Marquis punished Villa’s defensive frailties with a last-minute winner.
Lambert insisted earlier this week that Villa owner Randy Lerner has assured him he won’t be sacked, but this latest embarrassment will only increase the pressure on the former Borussia Dortmund star.
While Millwall, FA Cup runners-up in 2004, can celebrate a place in the last 16, their victory was slightly marred when a section of home fans began throwing missiles on to the pitch early in the second half.
Millwall boss Kenny Jackett told his side’s official website: “I thought it was a terrific performance from the whole team tonight.
“I thought we deserved to win and I was so pleased for John Marquis that he got the winning goal. He has been out for a long time and has worked so hard to get back to fitness.”