Leeds punish Spurs as Blues earn replay in FA Cup fourth round

PUBLISHED : Monday, 28 January, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 28 January, 2013, 4:36am


Tottenham Hotspur were dumped out of the FA Cup in the fourth round, beaten 2-1 by second-tier Leeds United last night, after holders Chelsea scraped a 2-2 draw at local rivals Brentford of League One.

Spurs, fourth in the Premier League, join Aston Villa, Norwich City and Queens Park Rangers in being eliminated from the tournament by lower-league opposition at the weekend.

Three-time English champions Leeds, who stunned Manchester United in the third round in 2010, took a 15th-minute lead when Luke Varney scampered down the inside-left channel and beating goalkeeper Brad Friedel.

Ross McCormack made it 2-0 five minutes into the second half with a sweet left-foot shot following a lobbed pass from El-Hadji Diouf, before Spurs replied through a Clint Dempsey header in the 58th minute.

McCormack had a chance to seal it in the 72nd minute, only for Friedel to save, but the Elland Road side withstood Spurs' attempts to find an equaliser to take their place in round five.

Chelsea needed an 83rd-minute equaliser from Fernando Torres to rescue a 2-2 draw at third-tier Brentford as they narrowly avoided a humiliating exit, earning a replay at Stamford Bridge.

A penalty from Brentford star Harry Forrester looked destined to send the European champions out of the competition, only for Torres to curl home a fine goal to deny his side's west London neighbours a memorable upset.

"Brentford did well. We knew they would play with a high tempo and try to press," said Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez.

"As a team they showed great character. You could see the manager [Uwe Rosler] on the touchline telling them what they needed to do, and they did it."

In John Terry's first Chelsea start since November after injury, his first involvement saw Ross Turnbull penalised for picking up his misplaced back-pass.

Brentford's Marcello Trotto scored the first just three minutes before half-time, but Chelsea's Juan Mata levelled the score within 10 minutes of coming on after the break. Forrester, 22, swept the spot-kick, but Torres saved the day for the Blues.