Short Soccer, March 12, 2013

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 12 March, 2013, 5:06am


Fenlon wants goal-line technology after gaffe

Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon has called for goal-line technology to be introduced in the Scottish Premier League after a refereeing blunder cost his side a win in their 0-0 Edinburgh derby against Hearts. The home side had the ball in the net in the 78th minute when a Leigh Griffiths free kick thundered off the underside of the bar and crossed the line by at least half a metre before bouncing out. However, referee Euan Norris and assistant Raymond Whyte both missed it, leaving the home side with a deep sense of injustice as the game ended goalless at Easter Road. A furious Fenlon said he believed the time was right to bring in goal-line technology, claiming refereeing mistakes could cost his side dearly at the end of the season. "I think we've taken too much away from referees to be honest and they should be left alone to ref the game," he said. "But this is one area where because it's a goal and it makes such a big difference to games then I think it is something that has to come in." AFP


Real Madrid's Karanka backs his strikers

Real Madrid assistant boss Aitor Karanka played down concerns about his side's strikers' inability to find the net after two more goals from Cristiano Ronaldo guided them to a 2-1 win over Celta Vigo. Madrid created a host of clear opportunities in the first period but a combination of poor finishing and fine goalkeeping from Javi Varas meant it took until just after the hour mark for them to find the breakthrough. Despite Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain again failing to fire in front of goal, Karanka remains confident both will eventually find form. "The important thing is to create the chances," he said. "Last year almost everything went in and this year that hasn't been the case but, with time, they will start to score again." AFP


River Plate fan stabbed as violence continues

River Plate fans clashed with Colon supporters in a running battle on a Buenos Aires highway and media reported a fan had been stabbed in further fighting near River's Monumental stadium before the home side's 2-1 win on Sunday. Media reported that a River fan had been stabbed. The stabbing was the latest incident as violence continues to plague Argentine soccer. There have been two deaths in the last week as a result of football-related violence. On Saturday, Racing Club were coasting to a 3-0 win at San Martin when the referee abandoned the match in the 87th minute as hooligans hurled objects on to the pitch and attempted to break down perimeter fencing. AFP