SOCCER

Manchester City confirm appointment of Manuel Pellegrini

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 15 June, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 15 June, 2013, 4:26am

Manchester City have named former Malaga manager Manuel Pellegrini as the successor to the sacked Roberto Mancini, the Premier League club said yesterday.

The 59-year-old Chilean - whose appointment had been widely expected for weeks, with Pellegrini saying last month that he had a verbal agreement - takes over following Mancini's sacking on May 13, after City finished as runners-up in the league and lost the FA Cup final to Wigan.

"I am delighted to accept this hugely exciting opportunity. The club has a clear vision for success both on and off the pitch, and I am committed to making a significant contribution," Pellegrini said, adding: "Everything is in place for Manchester City to continue to be successful and I am excited to be able to work with such a talented squad, the executive team and the board to deliver for fans who are renowned for their steadfast support."

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Manuel is a hugely experienced and successful manager with a proven track record.

"We have been greatly impressed throughout the selection process by his philosophy, his attitude and his commitment to the long term development of Manchester City," he added.