ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Manuel Pellegrini unsure on City forwards set-up

PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 August, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 19 August, 2013, 3:34am
 

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini admits he needs his forward options to deliver as he prepares for his first taste of the Premier League against Newcastle tonight.

Pellegrini, who replaced Roberto Mancini following the Italian's dismissal at the end of last season's trophy-less campaign, lost Carlos Tevez to Juventus in this transfer window, but has added Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic to his attacking options alongside Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko.

Now the Chilean faces his first striking dilemma as he debates who will start up front in his opening competitive match in charge at Eastlands.

City have not lost an opening-day Premier League game since a defeat by Aston Villa in 2008 and Pellegrini's front men will be expected to continue that run.

"I do not know my team yet because on Thursday all the players that played for their national squad arrived back. I am not 100 per cent sure," Pellegrini said.

"We have four important strikers, that is why they are here in this squad as we want them for the whole season. We have four strikers because I think we need four strikers. We will see who is the best for each match."

Newcastle, who narrowly avoided relegation last season, are looking to halt an unwanted run of seven successive defeats against City, a sequence that stretches back to October 2008.

But they head to Manchester with several injury worries.

French forward Loic Remy, the new arrival on a season-long loan from QPR, is likely to miss the first month of the campaign with a calf injury.

Italian full-back Davide Santon has a hip problem, defender Steven Taylor required an injection in a toe injury, and Argentinian midfielder Jonas Gutierrez has a hamstring strain.

However, boss Alan Pardew welcomes back Tim Krul, with the Dutch keeper set to make his first Premier League start since April after recovering from shoulder surgery.

Pardew is happy for the pressure to be off his side after their struggles last season, but he remains in the market for further attacking reinforcements, with Remy Newcastle's only pre-season signing.

"We're starting with a clean slate and it possibly suits us a bit more that there's less expected of us this year than last," Pardew said. "But at the same time when we finished fifth two years ago it was very important that you are not thinking you've arrived and everything is going to be hunky-dory, because obviously it wasn't for us.

"We think there were problems in the squad last year and we need to address those. We need to carry more of a goal threat."

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive