Manchester United fight back to beat Stoke 3-2 to revive campaign

Arteta sent off but Arsenal consolidate their position at the top of the Premier League with win over Crystal Palace

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 27 October, 2013, 1:36am
UPDATED : Sunday, 27 October, 2013, 1:36am


Manchester United belatedly rediscovered their famous fighting spirit by roaring back from behind to beat Stoke City 3-2 on Saturday and re-energise their Premier League title defence.

David Moyes' side trailed 2-1 at half-time and looked on course for a third successive home game without victory in the league, only for goals from Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez to secure a much-needed win.

United are eight points behind Arsenal, who won 2-0 at Crystal Palace to consolidate their spot at the head of the table.

Stoke took a fortuitous lead in the fourth minute at Old Trafford when Jonny Evans' attempted clearance from an Erik Pieters cross cannoned against Peter Crouch and flew into the net.

Robin van Persie equalised in the 43rd minute, tucking home after Asmir Begovic parried a Rooney header, only for Marko Arnautovic to restore the visitors' lead on the stroke of half-time with a superb free kick.

United turned the game around with a pair of goals in the space of three minutes in the second half.

Rooney cleverly flicked a looping header over Begovic to equalise in the 78th minute before substitute Javier Hernandez completed the comeback.

Liverpool climbed into second place thanks to a glorious hat-trick by Luis Suarez in a 4-1 win over West Bromwich Albion.

Earlier, Arsenal survived the dismissal of goalscorer Mikel Arteta to overcome Palace at Selhurst Park and preserve their status at the top of the standings on the 150th anniversary of the Football Association.

Arteta put the visitors ahead with a 47th-minute penalty, but he was contentiously shown a straight red card with 25 minutes remaining for a last-man foul on former Arsenal man Marouane Chamakh.

"We showed a lot of resilience and patience and good organisation against a team who were really up for it," said Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

"I honestly believe [Arteta's dismissal] was the wrong decision. Why? Because it has to be a clear goalscoring opportunity. It was very far from goal, he was not the last man, and even the foul was, to me, accidental."

Everton beat Aston Villa 2-0 while Norwich City dominated their home game with Cardiff City but had to settle for a 0-0 draw that kept Chris Hughton's side in the relegation zone.