Fifa World Cup 2014

Fifa probe exposes probable match-fixing of pre-2010 World Cup friendlies

Confidential Fifa report details incidents four years ago in South Africa where referees helped rig matches for Singapore betting syndicate

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 01 June, 2014, 10:14pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 03 June, 2014, 10:03am

A confidential Fifa report raises concerns about World Cup match-fixing vulnerabilities just 12 days before the global soccer showdown kicks off in Brazil, The New York Times reported.

The newspaper obtained a copy of the 44-page internal report over incidents from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa by the world governing body and other related documents raising issues of bettors influencing outcomes and referee honesty.

The Times interviewed officials, referees, gamblers and others in South Africa, England, Malaysia, Singapore and Finland.

Were the listed matches fixed? On the balance of probabilities, yes
Fifa report 

It looked into issues that could compromise the event for Fifa, which is expected to receive US$4 billion in revenue for sponsor deals, television rights and ticket sales from this year's World Cup.

"Were the listed matches fixed? On the balance of probabilities, yes," the previously unpublicised Fifa report said.

A match-rigging betting syndicate whose referees fixed friendlies even made a death threat after a match official tried to stop the fix, the Times said.

In one cited example, Niger referee Ibrahim Chaibou brought a bag with thousands of dollars in US$100 bills into a bank and made suspect handball calls later that night in a friendly between South Africa and Guatemala in May 2010 at Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane, another referee said.

Chaibou, who denied fixing a match to the newspaper and who has since retired, was chosen for the match by a Singapore company - Football 4U International - that is a front for a match-rigging group, according to the Fifa report, the Times said.

In all, fixers manipulated "at least five matches and possibly more" in South Africa ahead of the 2010 World Cup and targeted up to 15 matches, according to the Fifa report.

Such warm-up friendlies for this year's World Cup are being played this week.

A Fifa spokesman told the Times that a probe into activities around the 2010 World Cup was ongoing, but no punishments or bans have been imposed despite the probe.

The plan involved Football 4U International offering to provide referees for pre-World Cup matches in South Africa and pay the referees' travel, lodging, meals and match fees, a major financial savings to South Africa's football federation.

The federation made deals with the Singapore firm for five matches, contracts that Fifa's report dubbed "so very rudimentary as to be commercially laughable" and South African officials were "easily duped or extremely foolish" to make the deals.

Betting rose on the number of goals to be scored in the South Africa-Guatemala match enough to raise suspicions of Fifa gambling monitors as the match began. Two dubious penalty kicks were awarded for handballs in a 5-0 South African romp.

"We can conclude that this match was indeed manipulated for betting fraud purposes," the Fifa report said.

Steve Goddard, an Englishman who served as acting head of refereeing for the South African football association at the time, said he turned down a bribe from Football 4U International.

Goddard pulled Chaibou from a later exhibition between South Africa and Denmark at the last minute after the scheduled referee took ill, using a home-nation referee in a 1-0 South Africa win.

Goddard told the Times that as he left the stadium after the match his cellphone rang and his life was threatened by the Singapore match-fixing group's ringleader, identified as Wilson Raj Perumal by the Times.

Neither police nor Fifa received a report of such a threat, but Goddard said he allowed the Singapore group to select the referee for a friendly the next day between North Korea and Nigeria.

"That was basically to save my neck," Goddard told the Times.

Nigeria won 3-1 after what the Fifa report called a "very harsh" red card and "very liberal" penalty kick award from the referee.