ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Offensive messages 'just banter' says former Cardiff boss Malky Mackay

Under fire Scot apologises for 'disrespectful' texts

PUBLISHED : Friday, 22 August, 2014, 10:12am
UPDATED : Friday, 22 August, 2014, 10:12am

Share

Former Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay has apologised for sending text messages that were “disrespectful of other cultures” after he was ruled out of the running to take over at Premier League Crystal Palace on Thursday.

The League Managers Association (LMA) issued the apology in a statement on Thursday after a British newspaper printed what it said were messages Mackay and a colleague at the club had sent during his time at Cardiff.

The LMA also said the Football Association was looking into the conduct of Scot, who was the preferred candidate to replace Tony Pulis at Selhurst Park before allegations were published.

“In the course of a search ... of 10,000 private text messages ... it emerged that Malky had, it seems, sent a couple of one line texts that were, with the benefit of hindsight, very regrettable and disrespectful of other cultures,” read the statement.

“These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.

“That said, Malky believes he could and should have conducted himself better on these two isolated occasions.

“If Malky has caused any offence by these two isolated matters he would, however, wish to sincerely apologise.”

The LMA said it did not condone the messages but said allowance should be made for the fact that they were included in “over 10,000 text messages and 70,000 documents produced over a long period of time”.

The text messages under scrutiny were exchanged between Mackay and Cardiff’s then head of recruitment, Iain Moody, according to the Daily Mail report which broke the story.

Moody left the Welsh club at the end of last year after being suspended by Malaysian owner Vincent Tan and joined Crystal Palace as sporting director, a role he resigned on Thursday.

“In light of the events of yesterday, sporting director, Iain Moody has tendered his resignation and it has been accepted with immediate effect,” a Palace statement read.

The LMA statement said Mackay denied suggestions he had sent homophobic and sexist messages.