image

English Premier League

Jose Mourinho feels ‘contempt’ for Chelsea boss Conte as feud continues

Manchester United manager has been trading insults with the Italian as war of words becomes increasingly bitter

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 13 January, 2018, 10:41am
UPDATED : Saturday, 13 January, 2018, 10:41am

Jose Mourinho has said he feels “contempt” for Chelsea manager Antonio Conte as their toxic public row continues to escalate.

The Manchester United manager has traded insults with his Chelsea counterpart over the past two weeks, with their dispute becoming increasingly bitter.

“I think when a person insults another you can expect a response. Or you can expect contempt,” Mourinho told a press conference.

“The first time he insulted me I had a response, a response that I know that touched the point where he really feels hurt.

“Then he insulted me for a second time but now I change and now [I have] contempt. And for me contempt means the end of the story.”

The enmity between the two men stretches back to early last season, with Mourinho accusing Conte of humiliating him with the scale of his celebrations as United fell to a 4-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge in October 2016.

The two managers have continued to snipe at each other since then, with Ander Herrera sent off during a bad-tempered FA Cup quarter-final in London last March, as Conte accused United of trying to stop Eden Hazard by fouling him repeatedly.

Conte has also criticised United’s spending, while Mourinho even mocked the Chelsea head coach for having a hair transplant.

Forgive and forget? Antonio Conte sends warning to Jose Mourinho as war of words intensifies

However, their comments have acquired more bite lately, beginning when Mourinho implied that Conte was a “clown” for his dramatic touchline celebrations, although he later claimed he was not referring specifically to the Italian.

Conte then accused the United manager of going senile, with Mourinho responding by referring to the four-month suspension that Chelsea’s manager received in 2012 for failing to report match-fixing while at Siena.

Conte, who was cleared by a court of any wrongdoing in 2016, retorted by calling Mourinho a “little man”.