French Open

Australian Bernard Tomic withdraws in rain-delayed French Open

Australian withdraws, handing win to Hanescu, while Stosur easily sees off Date-Krumm

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 29 May, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 29 May, 2013, 5:46am


Troubled Australian star Bernard Tomic suffered another setback in his faltering career yesterday when he quit his French Open first round match with an injury.

Marion Bartoli of France fought hard to secure a 7-6 (10/8), 4-6, 7-5 victory over Belarusian Olga Govortsova in their rain-delayed opening match.

And Sam Stosur waited 2½ hours to play because of rain, then quickly won her opening match.

Tomic, 20, came into the second grand slam of the season against a background of controversy after his father and coach, John, was barred from entering the Roland Garros complex as a paying spectator because of an assault investigation.

John Tomic, who will face trial in October, is accused of assaulting his son's training partner Thomas Drouet in Madrid.

Bernard Tomic dropped the first two sets against Romania's Victor Hanescu before quitting in the third set to hand a 7-5, 7-6 (9/7), 2-1 win to his opponent.

Tomic had needed a medical timeout after just 10 minutes for a leg injury even though he had just broken for a 2-1 lead.

But 31-year-old Hanescu, who made the quarter-finals in 2005, levelled for 4-4 and then broke for the set at 7-5.

The pair were into the tie-break in the second set when heavy rain sent them scurrying to the locker room.

Tomic consulted doctors during the rain break. "I felt a tear after just the second point. I have never had that pain before. The doctors said it was torn," he said. "It's not eight weeks, just a week or so. There was no point in playing another set or two sets. It sucks."

Just minutes after their return, Tomic offered his hand and left the court.

Stosur, the 2010 runner-up swept the first nine games and drubbed 42-year-old Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-0, 6-2.

Play was delayed at the start and when the rain stopped, Stosur was ready. She dominated with her strong serve and pinpoint groundstrokes, repeatedly skipping shots inside the lines.

Shortly after Stosur finished, rain returned, prompting another delay. "I was happy to get out there and start," she said.

"It was spitting a little bit when we went out there. You think, 'Oh, are we going to start or are we not?' Lucky for me I was able to finish the match before this last downpour came."

The resulting schedule backlog meant at least a handful of players will not begin first-round matches until at least Wednesday, three days after some opening matches were completed.

Stosur, seeded No9, enjoyed a career breakthrough three years ago when she made the Roland Garros final before losing to Francesca Schiavone. She won the US Open in 2011, but a right calf injury has hampered her progress this year and she has yet to reach a semi-final.

Stosur said she was now feeling 100 per cent and hoping for a good run in Paris. "The first hurdle is done, but there are many, many more ahead of me," she said. "I have to stay on track, but I think this was a very good start."

Date-Krumm is the third-oldest woman to play in the open. When she made her Roland Garros debut in 1989, nearly half the players in this year's women's draw had not yet been born.

Agence France Presse, Associated Press