Nick Kyrgios banned and told to seek help after Shanghai Masters tantrums
He is banned for eight tournament weeks and fined an additional US$25,000 following his action during a defeat by Mischa Zverev
Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the governing body for men’s tennis said on Monday.
“The suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist...” the ATP said.
Kyrgios has also been slapped with an additional US$25,000 fine for “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game”, it added.
The talented yet temperamental Australian was beaten 6-3 6-1 by Mischa Zverev in a second round match in which he put in a series of half-hearted serves and appeared to be walking off court before the unseeded German had returned the ball to him.
Statement from ATP Executive Chairman & President Chris Kermode regarding the ATP's sanction of Nick Kyrgios. pic.twitter.com/jXmeENELeN
— ATP World Tour (@ATPWorldTour) October 17, 2016
Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court and was fined $16,500 by the ATP last week.
The 21-year-old released a statement apologising for his behaviour.
“Following the ATP’s decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai,” he said.
“I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017.”