China’s Peng Shuai climbs seven places to close in on WTA top 20 after Jiangxi Open victory
The 31-year-old climbs the ranking after securing a second singles title at her home event
Victory in the Jiangxi Open on Sunday saw China’s Peng Shuai close in on the top 20 in the WTA rankings published on Monday.
Peng claimed the Jiangxi title when she overpowered unseeded Nao Hibino 6-3, 6-2 in a one-sided final.
The 31-year-old Peng made light work of the Japanese in just under 90 minutes to add to the maiden WTA singles crown she won last year, also on home soil, in Tianjin.
Fellow Chinese and top seed Zhang Shuai and European stars Jelena Jankovic and Kristyna Pliskova all tumbled out early to leave Peng as the sole remaining seed in the semi-finals.
There was almost no change in the top 20 meaning Czech Karolina Pliskova maintained the number one spot with a lead of almost 1,000 points over Romania’s Simona Halep.
Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza is fourth with pregnant former world number one Serena Williams 15th.
WTA Rankings (as of July 31)
1. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 6,751pts
2. Simona Halep (ROM) 5,770
3. Angelique Kerber (GER) 5,626
4. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 4,991
5. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 4,935
6. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 4,860
7. Johanna Konta (GBR) 4,665
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 4,410
9. Venus Williams (USA) 4,052
10. Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 3,940