• Sat
  • Aug 2, 2014
  • Updated: 2:11pm

Active Fire Protection

Call for sprinklers after pet shop fire

A blaze that killed 17 dogs and cats in a Happy Valley pet store last Wednesday has prompted an animal welfare group to call for sprinklers to be installed in such shops.

Tuesday, 23 August, 2011, 12:00am

Expat treated after flat blaze

A 47-year-old expatriate woman, one of 13 people evacuated from a three-storey block of flats in Chester Road, Kowloon Tong, suffered smoke inhalation and was treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital after her flat burst into flames at about 2.30am yesterday. Firefighters took more than an hour to put out the blaze, which left the flat severely damaged. The woman was later discharged.

4 Dec 2008 - 12:00am

Heat is on during training course

More than 2,000 of the city's firefighters have gone through a gruelling training programme in which they had to crawl on all fours through simulated tunnels and overcome flames, heat and smoke.

Their ordeal was experienced at the city's first live-fire training centre, established in November to improve firefighting skills.

13 Oct 2007 - 12:00am

Home-alone children suffer serious burns

Two children, left alone at home, suffered serious burns in a fire yesterday morning inside a locked flat in a building with a malfunctioning water pump.

A girl, two, is in critical condition at Prince of Wales Hospital, while her brother, three, is in serious condition.

27 Aug 2007 - 12:00am

State of emergency

Fung shui principles apply to commercial properties as well as to residential ones. In an office or shop, for instance, no emergency apparatus - such as fire extinguishers, axes or water hoses - should be directly opposite the entrance, otherwise occupants will experience obstacles in their careers. Such items should be immediately relocated.

12 Aug 2007 - 12:00am

Blast at family's home

What was apparently a dispute over parking spaces in a Sai Kung village turned ugly yesterday when a family was awakened by a blast outside the door of their home.

13 Jun 2007 - 12:00am

Blaze factory kept chemicals illegally

Toxic and flammable chemicals, including cyanide, were illegally stored inside the Tsuen Wan electroplating factory where a fire killed one firefighter and injured nine other people, including six other firefighters, on Monday night.

26 May 2007 - 12:00am

Sprinkler system could have saved fireman, says ex-chief

Fatal flashover in Tsuen Wan blaze 'was preventable'

Fireman Wong Ka-hei may not have died in a blaze in Tsuen Wan on Tuesday if a sprinkler system had been working, a former fire chief said yesterday.

24 May 2007 - 12:00am

Stalls' storage lofts helped feed fire

A fire raged for 14 hours at a market in Tseung Kwan O on Friday because so much material had been accumulated in concealed storage spaces fixed to the ceilings of stalls, the Fire Services Department said yesterday.

1 Apr 2007 - 12:00am

City Briefs

Paint can explodes in van, burning delivery man

A delivery worker suffered leg injuries after a can of paint thinner he placed on top of a car battery in the back of a goods van burst into flames in Mongkok. The man, 35, was loading 12 cans of thinner into the van in Kam Lam Street when the blaze broke out at 12.30pm.

10 Aug 2004 - 12:00am

Pages