• Sun
  • Dec 28, 2014
  • Updated: 9:50pm

Anesthetic Equipment

Breast enlargement op in clinic risky, surgeon tells court

The former chairman of the city's surgery specialty board told an inquest yesterday that he would refuse to perform breast-enhancement surgery like that which led to a woman's death unless it was in a hospital.

Thursday, 27 October, 2011, 12:00am

Mishearing cited by doctor in death case

Miscommunication may have led to a delay in transferring a dying breast-implant patient to hospital, the coroner's court heard yesterday.

Doctors waited 45 minutes for a piece of breathing apparatus to keep Zoey Leung Kwan alive on a five-minute drive from a private clinic in Jordan to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

26 Oct 2011 - 12:00am

Anaesthetist found guilty in case where patient awoke

An anaesthetist who failed to check his equipment properly before an operation during which the patient woke up was yesterday found guilty by the Medical Council of professional misconduct.

Dr Edmund Bernard Chan failed to check a vaporiser before the surgery. The council ruled that he be removed from the general register for six months, suspended for two years.

11 Apr 2011 - 12:00am

Broken land's seed of hope

He is a regular blood donor, but it was the first time he had donated blood in order to save his patient. He also had to get used to supervising three different operations carried out concurrently, in one operating theatre.

Doctors are unlikely to face these hectic conditions in Hong Kong.

29 Mar 2004 - 12:00am

GAS TANK FALLS 23 FLOORS

A metre-long gas cylinder fell from the roof of a 23-storey office block in Central, but no one was injured. The cylinder, connected to an air-conditioning system, plunged from the roof of Queen's Place in Queen's Road Central at 2pm. Maintenance work was being carried out at the time.

17 Dec 2002 - 12:00am