Candles are suddenly a hot commodity in Longchang county, Neijiang city.
Panic buyers seeking candles and matches have been flowing into Luo Huanlin's small grocery near the county government headquarters ever since a rumour began circulating that a three-day blackout would strike on December 21, the date on which some people believe the world will end.Friday, 14 December, 2012, 9:50am
There used to be a time when a party hostess could fire up a couple of tea lights, put them in small glass holders and call it a night. No more.
Scented candles are becoming an increasingly important component of the living space, beyond lining the edge of a bathtub or the top of a dining table. The new trend is about luxury and layering.21 Oct 2007 - 12:00am
The ancient lustre of brass is being given a brand new sheen. From high-end designers to mass retailers, brass is re-emerging in lighting and home accessories, updating a material that has typically been used for bed headboards and, in India, traditional trays and pots.4 Mar 2007 - 12:00am
1. Stainless-steel snuffer, $150, from Bed & Bath, shop 206, Prince's Building, Central, tel: 2522 5151.
2. Kenneth Turner silver-plated bee snuffer, $345, from Altfield Home, shop 223, Prince's Building, tel: 2524 3066.
3. Stainless-steel snuffer with wooden handle, $165, from Townhouse, shop 210, Prince's Building, tel: 2845 0633.20 Aug 2006 - 12:00am
1. Stainless-steel candlesticks, $890 tall, $820 medium, by Jasper Morrison for Alessi, 104 Ruttonjee Centre, 11 Duddell Street, Central, tel: 2525 5144.
2. Wah Tung hand-painted candle holder, $480, from Wah Tung China, 59 Hollywood Road, Central, tel: 2543 2823.21 Aug 2005 - 12:00am
Think exotic. Push boundaries. Get creative with your gifts by going for something different
Pillar candles ($90-$250) and crystal candle holder ($390), White Contemporary Homes
Catherine de Medici tray (large $1,050, small $650), Bed & Bath
Ruby red-wood incense holder ($420), Armani Casa
Chopsticks set ($130), Indigo Living12 Dec 2004 - 12:00am
If you need some home therapy check out Soho's newest arrival, Hygge (shop A, 14D Lower Elgin Street, Central, tel: 2549 7255). Pronounced 'Hooga', which means 'the art of creating intimacy' in Danish, the boutique stocks a range of striking candleholders and accessories by designer Piet Hein and other rising Danish stars.25 Jul 2004 - 12:00am
1. Pink tubereuse candle, $350, by Diptyque from Joyce (New World Tower, Central, tel: 2810 1120). 2. Purple square candle, $880, from Ovo Living (UG/F, 1 Electric Street, Wan Chai, tel: 3102 0810). 3. Silver bowl candle, $695, by Parks from Banyan Tree (18/F Horizon Plaza, 2 Lee Wing Street, Ap Lei Chau, tel: 2555 0540; www. banyantreehk.com). 4.28 Mar 2004 - 12:00am
Happy birthday to The Candle Company (11 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, tel: 2545 0099), which celebrates its first anniversary this week. The shop has the widest range of candles in Hong Kong. Great ideas for Christmas include gift baskets, tailor-made to taste and budget.21 Dec 2003 - 12:00am
The two municipal services departments will mobilise about 2,000 staff to enforce a ban on burning candles during the Mid-Autumn Festival this month.
The Urban Services Department (USD) will increase manpower from last year's 1,040 to 1,400 to patrol parks to stop people burning candles on September 24. The Regional Services Department plans to deploy at least 500 staff.9 Sep 1999 - 12:00am