Ciguatoxin

19 diners suffer ciguatera fish poisoning on Lamma Island

Seafood restaurants on Lamma Island. Photo: SCMP

Six of the diners had sought medical help and at least one person was admitted to hospital for treatment. All are in now in stable condition, the Centre for Health Protection said.

Wednesday, 12 June, 2013, 12:24pm

Poisoned fish suspected as four fall ill

The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected ciguatoxin poisoning cases affecting four people who ate coral-reef fish. A man and a woman, aged 61 and 63, fell ill after eating a fish from a Fanling market last Saturday. Both have been discharged from hospital. Another man and woman fell ill after a fish meal in a Sheung Shui restaurant last Friday.

10 May 2011 - 12:00am

Six fall ill after eating reef fish

Six people from three households fell ill in three cases of suspected ciguatoxin poisoning after eating reef fish bought from the same stall at the Shek Wu Hui market, Sheung Shui, the Centre for Health Protection said. The victims, two men and four women aged 20 to 63, developed symptoms, such as numbness of the mouth and limbs, after eating the fish at home on Friday and Saturday.

16 Dec 2008 - 12:00am

Warning on eating toxic fish

Three separate cases of suspected poisoning have prompted the Centre for Health Protection to issue a warning about the build-up of toxins if consumers eat too much coral reef fish. The three suspected cases of ciguatoxin poisoning involved eight people, aged two to 50, who fell ill over the weekend. Four were admitted to hospital and are in stable condition.

7 May 2008 - 12:00am

8 poisoned after eating groupers

Eight people were poisoned by eating tiger groupers at a Kwun Tong restaurant, suffering nausea and numbness in their face and limbs.

They were struck by ciguatoxin poisoning, caused by a toxic marine micro-organism that is passed up the food chain and is found in grouper, snapper and mackerel.

8 Apr 2006 - 12:00am

Ciguatera poisoning strikes five

Five people have developed suspected ciguatera poisoning after eating fish bought at the same market. All fell ill after eating moray eel, the Centre for Health Protection said last night.

The victims came from two parties that both consumed fish bought from the Shek Kip Mei Market on Friday. None required admission to hospital.

4 Jul 2005 - 12:00am

Health experts investigate more food poisoning cases

Updated at 6.38pm: The Centre for Health Protection and the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department was investigating three new cases of Coral Reef fish food poisoning in Hong Kong, a spokesman said on Friday.

He said the three reports of food poisoning involving the fish had been received in the last two days.

3 Jun 2005 - 12:00am

Five more cases of ciguatera

Five people have developed suspected ciguatera poisoning after eating fish, bringing to 42 the number affected by the potentially lethal toxin this month.

All fell ill after eating a variety of lyretail, the Centre for Health Protection said.

18 May 2005 - 12:00am

'Not much' can be done about toxic fish: official

We rely on traders' help, he says, as tainted garoupa are traced to South Pacific

The Director of Food and Environmental Hygiene has admitted that 'nothing much' can be done to protect fish diners against an outbreak of ciguatera poisoning, which yesterday sickened eight more people, bringing the toll to 53.

1 Apr 2004 - 12:00am

15 fall ill after reef fish meal as poisonings spread

But restaurateurs say you can't tell if a garoupa is toxic from its size and looks

Fifteen more people have been poisoned from eating coral fish as the ciguatera poisoning scare spreads to other districts.

Six new outbreaks, involving seven men and eight women, aged 14 to 78, were reported to the Department of Health yesterday.

31 Mar 2004 - 12:00am

Toxic fish spark health probe

Authorities are trying to establish the origins of coral garoupa which have poisoned 30 people

Health authorities were last night investigating the origins of toxic coral fish which have poisoned 30 people in the past three days.

Fourteen of the victims remained in hospital last night. All were in a stable condition.

30 Mar 2004 - 12:00am

Health department issues warning on toxin commonly found in tropical waters

The Health Department yesterday warned against eating large coral reef fish after 20 people reportedly fell ill with food poisoning.

The department said all those affected had eaten leopard coral grouper, hump head wrasse and moray eel - which are suspected of carrying ciguatoxin, a poison found in coral reef fish - in the last four days.

2 Aug 2001 - 12:00am