Dead Sea

Arabian delights

Soaking up the sun with the nearby water within easy reach is a big attraction.

If I hadn't remembered from school geography lessons that the shores of the Dead Sea are the planet's lowest accessible point on dry land, then the late-night trip there from Amman's Queen Alia International Airport would have made that clear.

Monday, 3 December, 2012, 2:35pm

What is it? Dead Sea salts

Several studies show Dead Sea minerals can have a positive effect on psoriatic skin, blogger Paula Begoun says on her site Psoriasis is characterised by rapidly dividing, overactive skin cells.

17 Feb 2009 - 12:00am

Glorious mud: Dead Sea brings new life to the skin

Mud and salt are hardly glamorous in themselves, but the mix of minerals to be found at the Dead Sea has been proven to have superb qualities for revitalising and rejuvenating the skin.

Several companies in Hong Kong sell Israeli skincare products made from the mineral-rich algae and mud of the Dead Sea.

8 May 2008 - 12:00am

A rose among the thorns

The Bedouin's face was burned brown by a lifetime beneath Jordan's searing desert sun. As he carefully roasted fresh coffee beans over a campfire, his features in profile appeared as proud and regal as the face on an ancient coin. Then, suddenly, he smiled to himself. Leaning conspiratorially close to a young Jordanian woman who was watching him, he whispered something mysterious in Arabic.

28 Aug 2005 - 12:00am

Documentary Watch

Naked Planet Pearl, 8.30pm This new series, commissioned by Britain's Channel 4, explores some of nature's most extraordinary wonders, from the Niagara Falls to Ayers Rock. It begins in the heart of the Holy Land, with the Dead Sea (above) and its pillars of salt - standing in the deepest slit on any continent, 430 metres beneath the ocean.

26 May 2000 - 12:00am

Dead Sea Works of Israel sets up US$486m potash venture

Israel's Dead Sea Works has approved an agreement to establish a US$486 million potash plant in a joint venture with the mainland government. Beijing would own 67 per cent of the plant and Dead Sea Works, along with a company controlled by Israel's Eisenberg family, would hold the remaining 33 per cent.

11 Sep 1998 - 12:00am

Let's face it! Facial exercises can knock years off your face

FACERCISE queen Carole Maggio is just one of hundreds of participants from around the world who will participate at this year's Cosmetics, Health and Beauty Fair to exchange ideas and present interesting innovations from the international beauty scene.

15 Jun 1994 - 12:00am