Electric Shock | South China Morning Post
  • Sun
  • Feb 1, 2015
  • Updated: 11:13pm

Electric Shock

Gentle electric shocks to brain boost maths ability

If proved effective and safe, electrical stimulation could be used in clinics, classrooms and even at home to help people who struggle with particular cognitive tasks. Photo: AP

People who struggle with maths fare better after a course of gentle electric shocks to the brain, British scientists have claimed. Psychologists at Oxford University found that students scored higher on mental arithmetic tasks after a five-day course of brain stimulation.

Saturday, 18 May, 2013, 2:32am

Fans fail safety tests

Only one out of 12 electric fans recently tested for safety by two watchdogs passed all the assessments for insulation and heat resistance.

16 Aug 2011 - 12:00am

Workman dies from electric shock

A worker died after suffering an electric shock at a Yau Ma Tei building last night. The man, 42, had just finished working on scaffolding outside Bowring Commercial Centre, in Ng Chung Street, at 7pm. He received the shock from a metal railing when he stepped from the scaffolding to the building, and was certified dead at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

30 Aug 2008 - 12:00am

Pots recalled over risk of electric shocks

Consumers have been warned to stop using two models of electric pots used for brewing herbal remedies as they may give users electric shocks.

The Consumer Council tested 10 different herbal pots for electrical safety, leaching of heavy metals, volume, markings and convenience.

16 Feb 2008 - 12:00am

Philips Heartstart

What is it? Not the first thing you might think of throwing into your luggage, the Heartstart is a defibrillator. It is simple enough for virtually anyone to use, making holidays possible for those at risk of cardiac arrest, and is available without the need of a doctor's prescription.

7 Aug 2005 - 12:00am

Shock for worker

A maintenance worker, 28, at the Man Yee Building in Central was taken to Queen Mary Hospital after he suffered an electric shock while trying to halt water leaks in a ceiling. He was conscious when taken to hospital.

20 May 2002 - 12:00am