Electrical Safety

Letters to the Editor, November 14, 2012

New leaders must do more for China's farmers. Photo: Xinhua

Train staff to work safely with electricity

Last month, the number of people who died or were seriously injured as a result of working with electricity rose.

Wednesday, 14 November, 2012, 3:15am

Fans fail safety tests

Only one out of 12 electric fans recently tested for safety by two watchdogs passed all the assessments for insulation and heat resistance.

16 Aug 2011 - 12:00am

Warnings about lightning ignored

Transport emergency specialists said yesterday rail authorities ignored their warnings on the risks of lightning and pointed out the country's railway system still had insufficient protection against such strikes.

26 Jul 2011 - 12:00am

Worker left critically ill by fireball in Fanling

A worker is critically ill with burns to about 40 per cent of his body after being hit by a fireball in a freak accident on a Fanling hillside yesterday.

The man, 62, was one of two men injured by the fireball. The incident happened when a steel cable supporting a load of cement being carried by a helicopter hit a high-voltage power line.

4 Jan 2011 - 12:00am

300b yuan allotted for State Grid power lines

State Grid Corp of China, the country's largest power transmission firm, plans to invest up to 300 billion yuan (HK$340.77 billion) by 2012 in ultra-high voltage (UHV) power transmission lines.

22 May 2009 - 12:00am

Pots recalled over risk of electric shocks

Consumers have been warned to stop using two models of electric pots used for brewing herbal remedies as they may give users electric shocks.

The Consumer Council tested 10 different herbal pots for electrical safety, leaching of heavy metals, volume, markings and convenience.

16 Feb 2008 - 12:00am

80pc of electric fans dangerous, test shows

More than 80 per cent of electric fans are dangerously defective and could cause fire or electrocution, the Consumer Council warned yesterday.

Vice-chairman of the council's publicity and community relations committee Michael Tsui Fuk-sun said only five out of 28 fans passed a safety test.

16 Mar 1999 - 12:00am

Fire hazard case firm acquitted

Hongkong Electric was yesterday acquitted of failing to prevent fire hazards after a magistrate said the company had taken sufficient precautions.

Julia Livesey said the company had already implemented appropriate safety measures at a Quarry Bay construction site when an electrical shock injured two workers on December 6.

9 Oct 1997 - 12:00am

Safety hazard denial

Hongkong Electric has been accused of failing to ensure safety at a Quarry Bay construction site where two workers suffered burns from shocks.

The Labour Department summonsed the company for not taking action to prevent fire hazards.

A representative of Hongkong Electric appeared at Eastern Court yesterday and denied the allegation.

8 Oct 1997 - 12:00am

Bid to change path of cables

NEW Territories villagers proposed alternative routes yesterday for the electricity lines from Black Point power station to avoid them going over their houses.

8 Jul 1995 - 12:00am

Show real concern

IS there any merit in the argument that living in proximity to power lines could be injurious to health? The Government, through the Director of Health, proclaims there is no conclusive evidence of any such risk. There are three aspects of this comment I wish to consider.

4 Jun 1995 - 12:00am

Contract

BRITISH firm Balfour Beatty has won a $101.8 million contract from the Provisional Airport Authority to design, install and commission the electrical distribution network at Chek Lap Kok airport.

The deal includes 28 kilometres of 11 kw high voltage cables, 22 high voltage distribution transformers, electrical switchboards and switching stations.

14 Apr 1995 - 12:00am

Court action threat over power lines

OUTRAGED residents in the exclusive Clear Water Bay area said yesterday they will take the Government and China Light and Power to court unless construction stops on high voltage power lines cutting a swathe through their valley.

The power lines are part of the 400 kilovolt overhead transmission system connecting Black Point Power Station to Kowloon and the New Territories.

23 Jan 1995 - 12:00am

Electrocution risk from massagers

ELECTRICAL massagers may cause electrocution and at least two brands should be recalled immediately, the Consumer Council warned yesterday.

The Kneading Vibration Heat Massager TS-940 and the Nicoken CS560 Electric Massager failed council safety tests.

16 Dec 1994 - 12:00am