A coroner's court yesterday returned a verdict of suicide on the death of a Chinese University administrator and made no ruling on her accusations she was molested by her boss.Thursday, 7 June, 2012, 12:00am
My husband and I have a modest income, and after my son recently enrolled in an international school we have already been asked for more money for basics. Other parents there are now telling me that we'll need to pay out yet more for trips and other extras. Shouldn't the fees cover all the costs of his education?29 Apr 2012 - 12:00am
Lawmakers of all political stripes are urging the government to release a key document on the 2001 West Kowloon arts hub design competition, which could explain why British architect Norman Foster's winning design was placed before the judges after its initial disqualification.1 Mar 2012 - 12:00am
A 42kg woman who died after breast enhancement surgery last year was given enough anaesthetic for a 50kg person, the coroner's court heard yesterday.
Zoey Leung Kwan, 24, wanted the surgery to be a surprise for her boyfriend. She went in for the operation at a private clinic in Nathan Road on April 30 last year.25 Oct 2011 - 12:00am
A senior fireman sent to tackle a blaze at a Cheung Sha Wan factory in March last year died by accident, an inquest ruled yesterday.
A jury of five returned the unanimous verdict after about 11/2 hours of deliberation at the Coroner's Court. They said Yeung Chun-kit, 47, died when extreme conditions caused him to have a heart attack. The ruling ended a seven-day inquest.7 Sep 2011 - 12:00am
Yesterday was just another day for Chu Wai-wing, the repair man government officials accuse of triggering the deadly collapse of the tenement in To Kwa Wan.
This was despite it being the day for the delivery of a coroner's verdict in one of the most closely followed public inquests in recent years.17 Aug 2011 - 12:00am
A coroner yesterday declared the deaths of four people when a To Kwa Wan tenement block collapsed last year were accidental - despite finding fault with both the owner and buildings officials.
Michael Chan Pik-kiu said he was unable to find the deaths unlawful and said no one should be held criminally responsible.17 Aug 2011 - 12:00am
The victims of a deadly building collapse at To Kwa Wan were 'murdered', their relatives said yesterday as they urged the coroner to record a verdict of unlawful killing.
The Buildings Department, the landlady, her main tenant and a workman were all responsible for the four deaths, the families told the Coroner's Court.16 Aug 2011 - 12:00am
A sacked former director of the Equal Opportunities Commission who lost a legal bid for damages and discrimination against the watchdog should be declared bankrupt, the body says.27 Apr 2011 - 12:00am
The jury in the Manila hostage inquest is expected to deliver its verdicts on the deaths of eight Hongkongers today.
Coroner Michael Chan Pik-kiu yesterday started summing up evidence from 25 days of hearings and directing the jury on possible verdicts on the death of tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn.23 Mar 2011 - 12:00am
Coroner Michael Chan Pik-kiu's decision to direct the jury to return a narrative verdict - for the first time at an inquest in Hong Kong - follows the Court of First Instance's judicial review of the inquest into the death of a Nepali man shot by a policeman.22 Mar 2011 - 12:00am
On the face of it, the 2011-12 budget looks generous. The government proposes HK$20 billion in relief measures to alleviate the burden of inflation on families. It will add over HK$10 billion, about an 8 per cent increase over last year, to recurrent expenditure in education, health and social welfare.28 Feb 2011 - 12:00am
The inquest into the deaths of eight Hongkongers held hostage by gunman Rolando Mendoza in Manila in August entered its ninth day yesterday. Sitting without the jury, Coroner Michael Chan Pik-kiu, coroner's officer Jat Sew-tong SC and lawyers for late tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn discussed how to deal with statements by Filipino witnesses, some of which will be heard by the jury today.25 Feb 2011 - 12:00am
With key Filipino officials publicly refusing to come to Hong Kong, it is unclear how many of the requested 116 Philippine witnesses will appear at the inquest that starts on Monday into the eight Hongkongers shot dead on a Manila tour bus.
The Hong Kong judiciary did not comment on whether the Philippines had sent word on the number of witnesses planning to attend.11 Feb 2011 - 12:00am
The widow of a homeless Nepali man shot dead by a police officer in Ho Man Tin in 2009 has failed yet again to have a decision that her husband was lawfully killed reviewed.
Sony Rai expressed disappointment yesterday after the Court of First Instance rejected her application for a judicial review of an earlier ruling by the coroner's court.22 Jan 2011 - 12:00am