The United Hawkers Development Platform and Chan Kong-chiu, a Fa Yuen Street hawker of 36 years, said the government's scheme to subsidise improvements to the stalls of the city's 4,300 hawkers in the 43 fixed-pitch hawker areas was not thorough enough.Monday, 25 March, 2013, 5:30am 1 comment
There are fung shui factors that may explain your company's losses, in addition to reasons attributed to the state of the economy.14 Aug 2010 - 12:00am
Lizzie, a fire safety officer, has been making notes for a safety leaflet her boss has asked her to write in clear, simple English.
Here are some of the almost-finished sentences and ideas she is going to include in the leaflet.
Fire safety in the home9 Feb 2010 - 12:00am
'A big bang woke us up from our sleep. I sensed there must be something wrong. When I opened the door, I saw smoke. Wasting no time, I and the others fled.'
Ms Law, club worker, set off alarm
'I saw my husband leaning out of the window waving for help. He told me over the phone that he saw me, too, on the ground. I really wished I could go up to save him.'11 Aug 2008 - 12:00am
Fung shui principles apply to commercial properties as well as to residential ones. In an office or shop, for instance, no emergency apparatus - such as fire extinguishers, axes or water hoses - should be directly opposite the entrance, otherwise occupants will experience obstacles in their careers. Such items should be immediately relocated.12 Aug 2007 - 12:00am
What was apparently a dispute over parking spaces in a Sai Kung village turned ugly yesterday when a family was awakened by a blast outside the door of their home.13 Jun 2007 - 12:00am
Paint can explodes in van, burning delivery man
A delivery worker suffered leg injuries after a can of paint thinner he placed on top of a car battery in the back of a goods van burst into flames in Mongkok. The man, 35, was loading 12 cans of thinner into the van in Kam Lam Street when the blaze broke out at 12.30pm.10 Aug 2004 - 12:00am
A 42-year-old man and his son, 22, had to abandon their boat and jump into sea when the vessel, carrying a cargo of motorcycles, caught fire off Sai Kung early yesterday.
The pair initially fought the blaze with portable extinguishers when it broke out in the engine room of the 18-metre wooden vessel off Fan Tsang Chau at 3.30am.1 Oct 2002 - 12:00am
Shoppers have been urged to take care when using disposable lighters after consumer watchdogs found just five out of 12 models tested were safe.
The Consumer Council's Choice magazine warned that the lighters, priced from $1 to $4.90, should be checked carefully before being bought and urged the Government to lay down guidelines to ensure their safety.16 Jun 2001 - 12:00am
Immigration officers will be provided with hi-tech outfits, including armoured suits and bulletproof vests fitted with miniature fire extinguishers. The upgrade follows August's arson attack at Immigration Tower which left two people dead and 50 injured.27 Dec 2000 - 12:00am