Government of Macau

Chinese Estates to seek compensation from Macau over La Scala land deal

Chinese Estates Holdings said it was determined to pursue compensation from the Macau government and the original owners of five plots of land that comprise its HK$20 billion La Scala residential project after the sale was voided amid a corruption case involving two Hong

Thursday, 16 August, 2012, 3:52am

Macau voids sale of land for La Scala development by Chinese Estates

Macau's chief executive has invalidated the sale of five plots of land at the centre of a corruption case involving Hong Kong tycoons Joseph Lau Luen-hung and Steven Lo Kit-sing, it was revealed last night.

The land in question is the site of the HK$20 billion La Scala luxury residential project.

15 Aug 2012 - 2:29am

Public projects get tiny slice of Macau's billions

Macau is raking in billions from its gambling boom - but only a tiny fraction of it is being invested in infrastructure.

29 Jul 2012 - 12:00am

Sales of La Scala flats halted

Sales of luxury apartments at the centre of a corruption case involving two Hong Kong tycoons have been halted - and people who have already put down money to buy flats are not happy.

16 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Macau government in legal move over land deals

The Macau government has 'initiated procedures' over the handling of five plots of land at the centre of a corruption case involving former public works chief Ao Man-long and two Hong Kong tycoons after a thorough study of the judgment.

It did not rule out invalidating the land deals for the luxury La Scala development, a government statement said last night.

13 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Snag over owners in Macau land grab

Complicated ownership issues will have to be resolved if the Macau government seeks to seize five plots of land at the centre of a corruption case involving jailed former public works chief Ao Man-long and two Hong Kong tycoons, legal experts said.

12 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Chinese Estates can file appeal if La Scala seized

Chinese Estates Holdings has been told it can file an appeal if the site of its La Scala residential project in Macau is seized following a corruption trial.

7 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Macau may seize La Scala flats

The Macau government yesterday issued a warning that it may seize the land on which the luxury La Scala development is being built. The land was at the centre of a corruption trial that saw jailed former public works chief Ao Man-long convicted again last week.

6 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Ao gets another 29 years for corruption

Macau's former public works chief Ao Man-long was sentenced to 29 years in jail for corruption and money laundering yesterday, six months more than the term he is currently serving for previous graft charges.

The bribe money involved in the latest trial, more than 31.9 million patacas, and shares Ao owned in his firm Ecoline, were confiscated.

1 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Macau's grand scam

When Macau International Airport opened for business in November 1995, Ao Man-long, the city's secretary for transport and public works at the time, saw a golden opportunity.

1 Jun 2012 - 12:00am

Macau could seize luxury HK$20b La Scala site

The site of the HK$20 billion luxury La Scala development could be seized by the Macau government at the end of the corruption trial in which two Hong Kong tycoons are accused of paying a HK$20 million bribe to a disgraced top official.

Macau's chief executive, Fernando Chui Sai-on, declined yesterday to rule out his government seizing the five plots of land involved.

27 May 2012 - 12:00am

Macau flats linked to graft case still on sale

Sales of flats in a luxurious project being developed in Macau by Chinese Estates on land linked to a corruption trial were continuing yesterday, a day after a court ruled that company chairman Joseph Lau Luen-hung had a case to answer on bribery charges.

25 May 2012 - 12:00am

Tycoon to face bribery charges

Hong Kong tycoon Joseph Lau Luen-hung is to face prosecution in Macau on bribery and money laundering charges in relation to land purchases approved by convicted former public works chief Ao Man-long.

Lau's lawyers argued in vain at a preliminary hearing that he had no case to answer.

24 May 2012 - 12:00am

Ao denies HK tycoons gave HK$20m bribe

Macau's jailed former public works chief Ao Man-long yesterday denied for the first time receiving a HK$20 million bribe from two Hong Kong tycoons.

He also said the tycoons, Joseph Lau Luen-hung and Steven Lo Kit-sing, had never offered him bribes over the bidding for five plots of land opposite the Macau airport.

10 May 2012 - 12:00am

Photographer turned back from Macau

South China Morning Post photographer Felix Wong Chi-keung was denied entry to Macau two days before World Press Freedom Day.

Wong was sent to cover the Labour Day protests in Macau on Tuesday.

3 May 2012 - 12:00am

Pages