• Tue
  • Sep 30, 2014
  • Updated: 10:30pm

Heater

Stipes whip young apprentice

The talented 10-pound apprentice has caught the eye of many a race watcher in scoring 10 wins so far in his first season, but unfortunately he has also caught the ire of the stewards.

Monday, 2 February, 2009, 12:00am

The heat is on

It's finally here. Three years after its prototype excited imaginations worldwide, Joris Laarman's Droog Design Radiator Heat Wave (below) is available to consumers warmed by its baroque design. Although apparently functionless, the decorative item is a modular heater that can be enlarged to meet needs and suit tastes.

19 Mar 2006 - 12:00am

2 admitted to hospital after heater catches fire

Three people were injured and dozens were evacuated from a flat in Western after a heater apparently overheated and set a bed alight during yesterday's cold weather.

3 Jan 2005 - 12:00am

'Poisoned' man stable

A man, 20, was in a stable condition after being found unconscious in the bathroom of his flat in Tsing Yi, reportedly after being poisoned by fumes from an illegal flueless gas water heater.

1 Jan 2002 - 12:00am

Jail for man whose suicide bid killed lover

A judge yesterday jailed for two years a desperate man who tried to gas himself but ended up killing his girlfriend.

Judge Bernard Whaley said Yeung Chun-yee had disregarded the safety of others when he tried to kill himself by cutting a gas pipe connected to a water heater on May 21 last year.

4 Jun 1999 - 12:00am

Woman killed by boyfriend's suicide attempt, court hears

A desperate man's attempt to gas himself ended up killing his girlfriend in a sudden explosion, a court heard yesterday.

Yeung Chun-yee tried to kill himself in the bathroom of his flat by cutting the gas pipe connected to the water heater, the District Court heard.

As he was waiting to die, his girlfriend, Ng Lok-lin, opened the door and the heater exploded.

21 May 1999 - 12:00am

Dying to keep warm

AN 89-year-old man died of suffocation after using his cooking stove to keep warm early yesterday on the Shekkipmei Estate.

The victim's 79-year-old flatmate called police at 9.42am after finding him lying on his bed with the carbon stove turned on.

Doctors at the Caritas Medical Centre tried to revive the man but he was certified dead.

17 Jan 1999 - 12:00am

Boy's illness gives his mother away

A mainland visitor was found to have overstayed by more than 10 days after she called an ambulance to a home in Yee On Street, Kwun Tong, when her six-month-old son became ill.

The woman, 25, said her son had fallen ill while having his bath in the bedroom, with the windows closed and a heater switched on. Ambulance workers blammed bad ventilation.

6 Jan 1998 - 12:00am

Brawl erupts over heater

A DISPUTE between two men over a water heater turned into a brawl involving four people last night. At about 7.20 pm, the pair - one aged 68 and the other aged 20 - began arguing in a flat in Hing Wah Street, Cheung Sha Wan over use of the heater.

10 Nov 1994 - 12:00am

Heater in flat blasts away wall

THREE workers escaped injury yesterday when an electric water heater exploded at a Happy Valley flat which was being decorated.

Windows were shattered and a wall in the corridor of the fifth-floor flat at 85 Blue Pool Road collapsed in the blast.

Police said two woman cleaners and a male worker were unhurt as they were in another room at the time.

8 Jun 1994 - 12:00am

Gross waste

OUTSIDE on Monday, the air temperature was 29 degrees, yet I sat at my desk in my surgery wearing a cardigan, a jacket, a tie and a heater, to keep me warm, as the air-conditioning blasted my office temperature down to shivering level.

29 Apr 1994 - 12:00am

Pages