'He is the very pineapple of politeness'
Mrs Malaprop from the celebrated 1775 play, The Rivals we often find ourselves asking others for help or asking people to do things for us in everyday life. Asking a person politely is called making a request.Monday, 8 May, 2006, 12:00am
(1) The government says Ethiopia should stop leaning on other nations or risk being seen as Africa's perpetual begging bowl.
(2) ... some fields are now green with plump cabbages, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes as farmers try their hand at cultivating vegetables.19 Jan 2005 - 12:00am
Read about Chu. Each numbered line has an error, such as a grammatical or spelling mistake, a missing word or an extra word. Correct the mistakes.
Do you know anyone like Chu?
1. Chu was borned in China, and came to Hong Kong in
2. the early 80s. He grew in a squatter settlement
3. on a mountainside. It was the hard life and he didn't5 Oct 2004 - 12:00am
Read about Rosa. Each line has an error, a missing word or an extra word. Try to correct the mistakes. Have you seen anyone like Rosa?
1. If you want to see Rosa, we suggest you to go
2. to Victoria Park on the Sundays, where she will be
3. picnicking with a group of friend from her home4 Sep 2004 - 12:00am
Read about Grandpa Chan. Each line has a mistake - an error, a missing word or an extra word. Try to correct the errors. Do you know anyone like Grandpa Chan?
1. You can seeing Grandpa Chan in Aberdeen.
2. He gets up at early and takes his bird down to the
3. waterfront at where he chats to his many old31 Jul 2004 - 12:00am
'It suggests adding 578 kanji to the 2,232 that are presently recognised.'
When you suggest something, you put forward a plan for someone to think about; you mention it as a possibility. You can:
(1) suggest something, e.g. I suggest a 7.30pm movie, instead of a 9.30pm movie.
(2) suggest doing something e.g. I suggest going for a walk after lunch.14 Jul 2004 - 12:00am
Read about Ah Fat the waiter. Each line has a mistake- an error, a missing word or an extra word. Try to correct the errors. Have you met anyone like Ah Fat?
Here's your stir-fried mixed vegetables, miss.
1. Hello, welcome my restaurant. Let me introduce
2. myself. I am Ah Fat, you're friendly Hong Kong waiter.3 Jul 2004 - 12:00am