A judge who yesterday granted an injunction regulating a family's incense-burning habits outside their high-rise flat in Mei Foo says the order does not curtail the right of worship in the city.Saturday, 4 June, 2011, 12:00am
A family who burned pungent incense in the corridor outside their high-rise flat has been ordered to pay HK$75,000 in compensation to a neighbour who took them to court.
The family was also told it must only burn environmentally friendly joss sticks in future, and they should be just 11centimetres long.4 Jun 2011 - 12:00am
A dragon made of burning incense sticks (above) makes a ritual parade along Lily St and then Ormsby St to Tung Lo Wan Rd in Tai Hang, Causeway Bay. Today-tomorrow, 7.30pm-10.30pm, free. Inquiries: 2577 264914 Sep 2008 - 12:00am
The famed fire-dragon dance features a 67-metre fiery dragon made of burning joss sticks. Today, 7.30pm-10.30pm, Tai Hang, Causeway Bay (starting along Lin Fa Kung streets east and west), free. Inquiries: www.discoverhongkong.com19 Sep 2005 - 12:00am
Joss stick traders say worshippers worry they will be fined for littering - and are buying fewer offerings
The makers of joss sticks and paper offerings fear they may be put out of business by the crackdown on littering and hygiene.12 Aug 2003 - 12:00am
Housewife Fan Yuk-kiu, 39, appeared in court accused of burning her nine-year-old son 20 times with joss sticks as a punishment. No plea was entered and Magistrate Ernest Lin Kam-hung adjourned the case until June 19.30 May 2002 - 12:00am
A couple who made the man's son, nine, burn joss sticks between his fingers and toes for hours for not doing his homework were given 18 months' probation. Tam Ming-fai, 28, and Cheng Sze-nga, 21, pleaded guilty to ill-treating or neglecting a child.23 Oct 2001 - 12:00am
A woman, 60, and her six-year-old grandson were admitted to Ruttonjee Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in their flat in Leighton Road, Causeway Bay. Both were in stable condition. The fire started in a bedroom at 8.30am when some papers placed on a desk were reportedly set on fire by an anti-mosquito joss stick.10 Mar 2001 - 12:00am
A 137-year-old temple in Causeway Bay was damaged in a blaze believed to have been set off by a worshipper's joss sticks. The fire broke out inside the Lotus Palace Temple, also known as Lin Fa Kung, in Lin Fa Kung Street West at 6.30am.16 Feb 2001 - 12:00am
I refer to the letter headlined 'Incensed by temple smoke' (South China Morning Post, January 26).
We have been working with the management of Hollywood Road's Man Mo Temple, Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, in the past months to address the pollution caused by the excessive burning of incense and ritual papers, particularly during festive periods.22 Feb 1999 - 12:00am
I live in a small village on Lamma and the horrifying sight of a raging fire on a nearby hillside on Wednesday, was, to say the least, very disturbing.30 Oct 1998 - 12:00am
Part of the Tonnochy Road flyover was closed yesterday while relatives of the three people killed in Friday's bus accident made offerings in their memory.
The two families laid fruit, joss sticks and roast meat on the pavement outside the Cine-Art House cinema at the Sun Hung Kai Centre, near to where the upturned bus landed.5 Feb 1998 - 12:00am
A CHARRED body of a man was found when firemen fought a hillfire that broke out at Fei Ngo Shan early yesterday.6 Mar 1995 - 12:00am
I REFER to the letter from Mr Brennen Young headlined, ''Overpowered by joss sticks'', which appeared in the South China Morning Post, on January 7.
As a Buddhist, I would like to clarify matters.
The burning of incense is not a habit of Buddhism.
For Chinese people, it is simply a way of showing respect towards their ancestors.24 Jan 1994 - 12:00am
BEFORE coming to Hong Kong, I rarely got the chance to smell the sweet scent of incense, and I enjoyed it when I could. But since coming here a few months ago, I have begun to hate that smell.
I have nothing against Buddhism - or any other religion - it's that it's this constant burning of incense that's annoying me and my family.7 Jan 1994 - 12:00am