More than 10,000 women were sent to the Magdalene laundries between 1922 and 1996 where they worked for no pay while the religious orders ran the laundries as commercial bodies.Thursday, 7 February, 2013, 4:17am
German home appliances brand Miele incorporated a creative prop into a ballet performance during a product launch on Thursday.28 May 2012 - 12:00am
'Inside myself is a place where you renew springs that never dry up'
Pearl Buck (1892-1973) - American writer who spent many years in China
A dry run
'Dry' is the opposite of 'wet', but what do the following terms mean?
a. wet clothes hanging on a line to dry21 Mar 2012 - 12:00am
A man who put bleach in his wife's face cleanser to play a trick on her after they had a heated dispute, instead caught out his daughter.
The girl suffered an irritation to her face when she used the cleanser. Smelling bleach, she told her mother and they called the police.31 May 2011 - 12:00am
A 16-month-old boy is in intensive care after falling into a top-loading washing machine at his home in Kwai Chung yesterday.
The toddler fell into the machine as it was operating and his 26-year-old mother found him upside down in the water, police said.
He was in serious condition in Princess Margaret Hospital last night.9 Feb 2011 - 12:00am
Which invention has changed our world more, the washing machine or the internet?
In the era of Google, Facebook and Alibaba.com, the answer might seem obvious: the internet of course.
Ha-joon Chang doesn't agree. And the Cambridge University economist has a point.23 Aug 2010 - 12:00am
Laundries should be accredited under a licensing system to ensure workers' safety, a coroner said as he ruled that the death of a teen who was pulled into the rollers of an ironing machine by her hair was accidental.20 May 2010 - 12:00am
Hong Kong households use more than 30,000 tonnes of washing powder and softener in a year - an amount equal to the weight of 172 Boeing 747 aircraft, a survey has found.
More than 2,000 people participated in the online survey by a lifestyle website last month and sponsored by the distributor of a chemical-free washing ball that replaces powder with nano technology.7 Jan 2010 - 12:00am
An 18-year-old woman described as 'a very good sister' died after her hair got caught between the rollers of a commercial ironing machine in a Tuen Mun laundry yesterday.
The woman, who had been studying at night school and was awaiting the results of her Form Five examination, was declared dead at the laundry by paramedics.25 Jul 2009 - 12:00am
Traditionally, homes must be scrubbed clean in the run-up to the Lunar New Year, so, in the coming days, houses and apartments will be scoured with all manner of cleaning fluids to ensure bad luck and evil spirits have been removed. The scouring will, inevitably, be followed by a flood of ecologically damaging fluids, pouring into the sewers, rivers and sea.18 Jan 2009 - 12:00am