Seven Hong Kong tourists and one tour guide were killed and 13 people were injured when a disgruntled former police officer opened fire on a bus full of Hong Kong tourists after hijacking it in Manila on August 23, 2010. Dissatisfied with the Philippine government's handling of the crisis and the ensuing investigation, Hong Kong issued a black travel alert against the Philippines and later introduced other sanctions. The two governments and victims' families reached an agreement on April 23, 2014 in which survivors and victims' families accepted an undisclosed amount of compensation from Manila and the Hong Kong government agreed to lift sanctions.
Outrage and criticism were to be expected after the Philippines apparently imposed an entry ban on nine Hong Kong journalists who door-stepped President Benigno Aquino last year over the Manila hostage tragedy in 2010.Tuesday, 25 November, 2014, 9:15am 4 comments
The Philippines has tried hard to end its diplomatic row with Hong Kong after the 2010 hostage killings in Manila.22 Nov 2014 - 6:22am 19 comments
Hospital chiefs may still face legal action over the treatment of Manila bus hostage survivor Yik Siu-ling, four years after a botched rescue in the Philippine capital left eight Hongkongers dead and seven injured.24 Aug 2014 - 2:36pm 4 comments
Crowds gathered in Manila this afternoon to mark the fourth anniversary of the bus hostage tragedy which claimed the lives of eight Hong Kong tourists, laying flowers and lighting candles.24 Aug 2014 - 3:56am 4 comments
It is encouraging to see a deal made between the Philippine government and the victims' families to end a 32-month stand-off over the Manila hostage tragedy, which claimed the lives of eight Hongkongers in 2010.9 May 2014 - 3:36am
Tse Chi-hang blamed a lack of "engagement" by the administration of former chief executive Donald Tsang for the prolonged delay in Hong Kong reaching a diplomatic resolution with the Philippines.26 Apr 2014 - 8:13am 9 comments
Hong Kong can finally normalise relations with the Philippines. It never made much sense to ensnare our entire community and government over the Manila bus hostage crisis. But that we did.25 Apr 2014 - 3:58am 9 comments
Time heals all wounds, goes the old saying. But for those who lost loved ones in the Manila tour bus hostage tragedy in 2010, it takes more to bring the case to an end.25 Apr 2014 - 3:00am
More than three years of strained ties over the 2010 Manila bus hostage crisis ended yesterday, as the Philippines expressed its "most sorrowful regret and profound sympathy" over the tragedy.24 Apr 2014 - 4:35pm 53 comments
Philippine President Benigno Aquino says he has no plans to apologise to Hong Kong over the Manila bus hostage incident, as Hong Kong’s diplomatic sanctions against Manila take effect on Wednesday.
The Philippine leader gave his first public response to the sanctions in an interview with The New York Times.5 Feb 2014 - 5:26pm 3 comments
Yik Siu-ling, who was shot in the face during the Manila bus hostage siege in 2010, will return to the city on January 10 after a successful operation in Taiwan to rebuild her shattered lower jaw.
"Thanks to the successful operation by Dr Wei Fu-chan, I have great confidence that I'll be able to lead a normal life again," Yik said by telephone yesterday.27 Dec 2013 - 1:53pm 1 comment
Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying hinted yesterday that a deal to secure an apology and compensation from the Philippines for the victims of the 2010 Manila hostage tragedy could be near.5 Dec 2013 - 3:45am
Following Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying's meeting with Philippine President Benigno Aquino in Indonesia earlier this month, the hyperbolic denunciations heaped on the government are a looking-glass through which Hong Kong people can see their self-centredness and detachment from reality.27 Oct 2013 - 9:12am 12 comments
When a bus full of Hong Kong tourists was taken hostage and eight of them were killed in Manila three years ago, the local community was shocked. Watching the tragedy unfold on the television screen was traumatic, and left us feeling outraged yet helpless.10 Jun 2013 - 3:35am 1 comment
Has our society lost all its marbles or collective brainpower to spend taxpayers' money on something so trivial? I suppose most readers would be troubled by the front-page news ("Taxi driver cleared in 50-cent court case", May 17).26 May 2013 - 4:35am 4 comments