Rudi Leung worked for 12 years in creative roles in the advertising sector before starting his MBA and was definitely hoping that the programme would lead to pastures new.Monday, 7 July, 2014, 4:16pm
To many who feel stuck in their career some years after graduation, getting an MBA seems a natural choice for career advancement.
But is it really necessary? The vast supply of MBA courses, from those offered online or on a part-time basis to those of a limited duration, inevitably raises questions about standards.7 Jul 2014 - 4:10pm
Talking to Michael Han, you would hardly guess he grew up in Nanjing. His perfect English carries an American lilt, thanks to his time visiting Europe as a youngster and later living in the United States as a student.7 Jul 2014 - 4:09pm
How does an employer measure an applicant’s work ethic during an interview? Before being able to assess work ethic you need to fully understand what it is you are looking for. Some believe that work ethic is turning up on time, while others would argue that this is purely punctuality, so it is crucial that you know what question you are asking.7 Jul 2014 - 4:05pm
An MBA curriculum is designed in such a way that you are kept continually busy. It tests your ability to multi-task, handle stress and above all, produce a quality output. Speaking from the perspective of a one-year MBA course, turning out quality work at the expected time requires some serious effort.3 Jul 2014 - 5:56pm
A quality and reputable postgraduate course gives your portfolio of academic qualifications a sharper edge. But what about adding a double-edged programme to boost your career? The JD/MBA Double Degree Programme jointly organised by both the law and business schools of Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) aims to furnish students with both legal and management training.3 Jul 2014 - 5:53pm
Of all the elements of an application to business school, the GMAT receives perhaps the most attention. This is partly because the standardised test generates an overall score from 200 to 800 that offers an easy point of comparison for both admissions officers and for candidates trying to assess their competitive chances of admission.3 Jul 2014 - 5:52pm
What sets Jason Y Ng apart is not the MBA qualification on his business card, but his determination to tackle diverse pursuits. A lawyer by profession, he returned to Hong Kong in 2005 after spending time in Europe, the United States and Canada and, since then, has been actively involved in teaching, singing, writing, and design.3 Jul 2014 - 5:50pm
There are two golden rules for applying to a top MBA programme. Firstly, apply as early as you possibly can. Check the deadline dates at your target schools, shelve everything in your life that isn’t absolutely essential, and make it happen. Secondly, don’t push that “send” button until you are absolutely certain your application is the very best it can be.3 Jul 2014 - 5:42pm
Executives looking to excel in a fast-changing world should consider taking the professional diploma in business management offered by the Open University of Hong Kong’s Li Ka Shing Institute of Professional and Continuing Education.3 Jul 2014 - 5:40pm
Because my role requires shift work, I am sometimes on duty overnight, and during those long but busy hours, you often find yourself thinking about your next meal.3 Jul 2014 - 5:38pm
We have all been there: sitting in a meeting room, listening to the sixth or seventh presentation of the day, and feeling tired, uninterested and disengaged.
It has been said that 97 percent of work-related presentations are rated by attendees as “boring” or “sleep inducing”. How then can we ensure that our own efforts are part of the other 3 per cent?3 Jul 2014 - 5:35pm
People commonly regard MBA students as white-collar professionals, keen to make their mark in fast-paced, cutting-edge businesses.
Few see the qualification as a requirement for selling vegetables, but according to recent reports in the local Chinese press, the owner of six vegetable stalls in Wong Tai Sin is proving the MBA is more inclusive than some might assume.3 Jul 2014 - 5:34pm
Executive coaching is a key feature of staff development for many businesses, which see its importance in promoting both personal and professional growth.
As a result, demand for the services of trained coaches is increasingly rapidly in Hong Kong, as more organisations realise the benefits and more individuals see the opportunities for building a career in this field.3 Jul 2014 - 5:33pm
Me: What is the MBA workload really like? I read the SCMP and various blogs, and people say it’s tough.
Lawrence: It is really tough, but I don’t want to scare you or put you off.
Me: Could you give it to me straight?3 Jul 2014 - 5:31pm