Neurotoxins

Poisoned fish suspected as four fall ill

The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected ciguatoxin poisoning cases affecting four people who ate coral-reef fish. A man and a woman, aged 61 and 63, fell ill after eating a fish from a Fanling market last Saturday.

Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, 12:00am

Poisoning case sparks warning over Chinese herbal medicine

Patients and herbalists are urged to observe safe prescription levels after a woman became dizzy and suffered limb numbness after taking a Chinese medicine.

The woman, 36, is suspected to have aconitine poisoning after taking a Chinese herbal medicine prescribed by the Chinese medicine clinic at Yan Chai Hospital, Tsuen Wan.

11 May 2010 - 12:00am

Six fall ill after eating reef fish

Six people from three households fell ill in three cases of suspected ciguatoxin poisoning after eating reef fish bought from the same stall at the Shek Wu Hui market, Sheung Shui, the Centre for Health Protection said. The victims, two men and four women aged 20 to 63, developed symptoms, such as numbness of the mouth and limbs, after eating the fish at home on Friday and Saturday.

16 Dec 2008 - 12:00am

Warning on eating toxic fish

Three separate cases of suspected poisoning have prompted the Centre for Health Protection to issue a warning about the build-up of toxins if consumers eat too much coral reef fish. The three suspected cases of ciguatoxin poisoning involved eight people, aged two to 50, who fell ill over the weekend. Four were admitted to hospital and are in stable condition.

7 May 2008 - 12:00am

Pufferfish warning after suspected poisoning

Diners have been urged not to eat pufferfish after a suspected poisoning case. A seaman, 52, developed dizziness, numbness of limbs and abdominal pain after eating a pufferfish on Thursday. The man was in stable condition at Princess Margaret Hospital, the Centre for Health Protection said. Pufferfish contain tetrodotoxin, a toxin that does not break down when cooked.

15 Dec 2007 - 12:00am

Public warned off scallops after toxin found

A health official warned the public yesterday to stop eating scallops after a sample from Tsuen Wan was found to contain a toxin that in serious cases can cause paralysis or death.

The level of paralytic shellfish toxin found in the scallop sample was 1,922 micrograms per 100 grams, a level described as 'quite high' by the Centre for Food Safety.

28 Apr 2007 - 12:00am

500 poisonings trigger warning on reef fish

Bigger the catch, bigger the risk of illness, union boss warns

A new warning has gone out about coral reef fish after a study found that almost 500 people have suffered from fish poisoning in the past three years - most from a toxin commonly found in reef fish.

14 Mar 2007 - 12:00am

8 poisoned after eating groupers

Eight people were poisoned by eating tiger groupers at a Kwun Tong restaurant, suffering nausea and numbness in their face and limbs.

They were struck by ciguatoxin poisoning, caused by a toxic marine micro-organism that is passed up the food chain and is found in grouper, snapper and mackerel.

8 Apr 2006 - 12:00am

Toxic fish spark health probe

Authorities are trying to establish the origins of coral garoupa which have poisoned 30 people

Health authorities were last night investigating the origins of toxic coral fish which have poisoned 30 people in the past three days.

Fourteen of the victims remained in hospital last night. All were in a stable condition.

30 Mar 2004 - 12:00am

Letters

Health or beauty?

Health and beauty have always been the centre of attention in our society. And since the Sars outbreak the issue of health, rightfully, has won tremendous attention and gained great importance.

Still, as the government tries hard to balance the budget by cutting costs on all fronts, health expenditure is not immune.

28 Dec 2003 - 12:00am

Recipe for a toxic disaster

UNIVERSITY laboratories abound with stories about students who got into hot water by taking chemicals home and making some dire substance in their kitchens.

3 Apr 1995 - 12:00am

Poison production 'just like making cake'

A FEW drops of the nerve agent sarin spread through the air in a room can kill a person in minutes - yet someone with chemical knowledge could make the deadly liquid in a shed.

One undergraduate student in Britain did just that several years ago for a dare, said chemical weapons expert Dr Alastair Hay of Leeds University.

21 Mar 1995 - 12:00am