Presumed guilty in China

Presumed guilty in China

The case of Zhu Ling has hit the headlines again recently. Zhu was a promising chemistry student at Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University before she was left paralysed after being poisoned with thallium, a toxic chemical, nearly two decades ago. The renewed interest in her tragic case was ignited by a similar poisoning case in April that led to the death of a Fudan University student.

Monday, 3 June, 2013, 2:33am 2 comments

Headmistress in Hebei held as two girls die after eating poisoned yoghurt

Family members at the bedside of one of the girls who died in hospital after drinking yogurt containing rat poison. Photo: SCMP Pictures

The headmistress of a kindergarten in Pingshan county, Hebei, has been arrested over the fatal poisoning of two girls at another kindergarten.

3 May 2013 - 5:41pm

Reward offered to track down dog poisoner on Cheung Chau

A leaflet offering an HK$8,000 reward. Photo: SCMP

An animal welfare group is offering an HK$8,000 reward for help in finding the culprit behind the deaths of seven dogs over the past three weeks on Cheung Chau.

21 Apr 2013 - 8:00am

Roommate held after Shanghai student dies from poisoning

The poisoning occurred at Fudan University's medical school in Shanghai. Photo: Xinhua

A medical student from a top Chinese university in Shanghai died of poisoning on Tuesday, after undergoing intense medical care in hospital for two weeks.

17 Apr 2013 - 2:51pm

City Digest, March 11, 2013

Roadside air pollution levels remained very high at all three monitoring stations yesterday. The air pollution index at Causeway Bay peaked at 160, while readings in Mong Kok and Central reached 137 and 130, respectively.

11 Mar 2013 - 5:18am

Malaysia offers reward in suspected poisoning of 14 pygmy elephants

A pygmy elephant calf nuzzles its dead mother. Photo: Reuters

"There is a reward of 50,000 ringgit [HK$125,000] for information leading to the arrest, prosecution and conviction of the alleged culprits if the chemist report confirms that death was due to intentional poisoning," he said.

7 Feb 2013 - 3:58am