Philippine President Benigno Aquino said he saw no reason to apologise for his government's handling of the 2010 Manila hostage crisis that left eight Hongkongers dead, but admitted the situation could have been handled better.Wednesday, 9 May, 2012, 12:00am
Lee Ying-chuen spent two hours trying to wash the stench of blood from her hair after surviving Rolando Mendoza's deadly gun rampage on board a Hong Kong tour bus in Manila on August 23 last year. She still has nightmares.28 Aug 2011 - 12:00am
One year on from the horror of the Manila bus shoot-out that changed her life forever, Yik Siu-ling, whose lower jaw was shattered by a bullet, shows no sign of bearing a grudge.
Instead, a smile has returned to the face of the 33-year-old mother. It is a smile that even her facemask cannot conceal; a smile that comes from the bottom of her heart.20 Aug 2011 - 12:00am
The family of Philippine policeman Rolando Mendoza, who killed eight Hongkongers in last year's hostage bloodbath in Manila, say they are still paying a heavy price for the tragedy.
Gregorio Mendoza, the killer's brother, is the only person facing criminal charges over the tragedy, and says he can no longer support his family financially because he needs to hire lawyers.25 Jul 2011 - 12:00am
Rescuer Gerardo Carual was the first emergency worker to enter the coach carrying Hong Kong tourists after sacked police officer Rolando Mendoza's bloody rampage in Manila almost one year ago.
But Carual, the president of the Philippine's Search and Rescue Unit Foundation, was not sent by the government - he was a volunteer.24 Jul 2011 - 12:00am