• Wed
  • Jul 23, 2014
  • Updated: 2:45pm


Snake bite

A man, 79, was airlifted from Lantau to Queen Mary Hospital after being bitten on his left leg by a snake while cleaning the kitchen at his home in Fan Kwai Tong, Tai O.

Saturday, 17 July, 1999, 12:00am

Snake in tree

A three-metre-long snake was discovered in a tree close to Mei Tin Road, Tai Wai. Police trapped the reptile and handed it over to the Agriculture and Fisheries Department.

19 Jun 1999 - 12:00am

Different angle on airport issues

THREE official inquiries are investigating what went wrong at the opening of the airport. The Airport Authority's newsletter, however, is not.

Instead it carries a morale-boosting photo of beaming chairman Wong Po-yan, signing the agreement to build the second runway.

13 Dec 1998 - 12:00am

Snake bite

Hiker Tom Braithwaite was airlifted to hospital after being bitten by a snake near So Kwu Wan, Lamma.

29 Sep 1998 - 12:00am

Pythons dumped in street by owner

A snake-lover who feared his neighbours had discovered his secret reptile room abandoned five pythons outside the headquarters of the SPCA in Ho Man Tin last night.

The man, who later called the South China Morning Post to explain his actions, had kept the two metre-long snakes in a spare bedroom for the past three years, after smuggling them in from Shenzhen.

6 Dec 1997 - 12:00am

Snakes alive

MORE than 300 people were evacuated after snakes and frogs were thrown into a Thai restaurant in Kwai Chung Metro Plaza. Two men threw the bucket of snakes and frogs at about 7.30 pm. Three snake experts were called and 15 snakes seized. The frogs were all dead.

14 Sep 1997 - 12:00am

Cushion caution

It is all too easy to mock locally-produced English language programming. But on the basis that if you cannot say something nice, you should not say anything at all, and given that tonight at 8pm there really is not much else to watch, I intend to be as enthusiastic as possible.

7 Aug 1997 - 12:00am

Make that bender one to remember

HOW to have a hangover.

It is not enough simply to drink too much and feel all the symptoms of radiation poisoning the next day. A hangover has to be properly prepared for.

15 Dec 1995 - 12:00am

Snake man refuses help

A MAN carrying a bag of snakes was taken to Tuen Mun hospital after claiming to have been bitten by one of them.

But Martin Walker, 39, of Wong Lei Tan Village, Yuen Long, declined treatment when he got there and refused to let go of the bag so an official snake catcher could identify the reptiles.

5 Dec 1995 - 12:00am

Snake caught

A SNAKE catcher took a 10-foot python from a tree near Cheung Hang Village, Kwai Chung, last night. The reptile, weighing 15 kilograms, will be handed to the Agriculture and Fisheries Department.

4 Dec 1995 - 12:00am