• Mon
  • Dec 22, 2014
  • Updated: 6:31pm

Stove

Recipe for a kitchen

Smart design can help homemakers create efficient kitchens, even in the smallest apartments.

Friday, 30 September, 2011, 12:00am

Cooking up kitchen comforts

More homeowners these days prefer an open, modern kitchen. In the studio of Walter Kei Hiu-wah, a celebrity chef and interior design consultant, you will find the kitchen at the heart of his living and work space.

7 Jan 2011 - 12:00am

Cooking by the book

When fung shui principles relating to the kitchen were conceived, they obviously could not take into account modern innovations.

17 May 2009 - 12:00am

The science of appliance

There is a school of thinking in fung shui that states the electricity that enters your kitchen appliances should be oriented from one of the directions that suits you. For instance, if east is a beneficial direction for you, the cords for your kettle, rice cooker or microwave should enter the appliance from the east.

10 May 2009 - 12:00am

In Brief

Pair burned in stove blast

A man, 20, and his grandmother, 82, suffered burns to their hands and legs when a gas stove burst into flames in Shun Ming House, Wah Ming Estate, Fanling, at 6am.

16 Apr 2008 - 12:00am

Man dies after stove sets fire to jacket

An 87-year-old man died after his kitchen stove set his down jacket on fire at his Tsing Yi home yesterday.

23 Feb 2008 - 12:00am

Peking 'Mcduck' plan upsets foodies

Quanjude, one of the oldest Peking duck restaurants in Beijing, will soon replace most of its traditional wood-burning stoves with fully automatic electric ovens, a newspaper reported yesterday.

25 Dec 2007 - 12:00am

Kitchen blast injures 2, sends dozens fleeing

A blaze triggered by a suspected gas explosion in a tiny room seriously burned a couple and drove dozens of residents from a building into the street in Shek Kip Mei last night.

The blaze broke out just before 6.30pm when the man was cooking on an LPG stove in the couple's room in a partitioned flat on the second floor of a five-floor building in Tai Po Road. It spread quickly.

30 Mar 2007 - 12:00am

How to choose ... a cooker

How to choose ... a cooker

Hong Kong rental flats tend to be sparsely furnished - in fact, the landlord will usually (but not always) agree to supply only one essential item for the kitchen - a cooker.

6 Aug 2006 - 12:00am

Mirror image

In traditional fung shui, mirrors don't open up spaces in rooms or replace missing elements. They reflect back what is captured in them - whether it's good or bad. Mirrors can't choose the type of energy they reflect. That's why hanging one on the wall directly opposite your front door will result in missed opportunities - as favourable and unfavourable energy is deflected.

16 Jul 2006 - 12:00am

20 flee gas-stove fire

Twenty people were evacuated at the ATV television station in Broadcast Drive after a kitchen fire. A canteen worker turned on a gas stove at 4pm and it suddenly burst into flames. No one was injured.

2 Apr 2002 - 12:00am

Home-alone boy injured by fire in flat kitchen

A 10-year-old boy left home alone while his parents went shopping escaped serious injury when he accidentally set fire to his Choi Hung flat as he played with matches yesterday.

The boy suffered minor burns after a kerosene stove tipped over in the kitchen of the 20th-floor flat in Pik Ha House, Choi Hung Estate, at 9am. The boy was in stable condition in hospital last night.

7 Jul 2001 - 12:00am

Blind man, wife, hurt in stove fire

A blind man, 62, suffered burns to his back and hips when his clothes caught fire as he switched on a gas stove in his flat at Kwong Yung House, Sha Tin.

His wife, 50, also suffered minor burns to her right hand. The couple was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital.

18 Aug 1999 - 12:00am

Dying to keep warm

AN 89-year-old man died of suffocation after using his cooking stove to keep warm early yesterday on the Shekkipmei Estate.

The victim's 79-year-old flatmate called police at 9.42am after finding him lying on his bed with the carbon stove turned on.

Doctors at the Caritas Medical Centre tried to revive the man but he was certified dead.

17 Jan 1999 - 12:00am

Decorator burned to death by stove

A man burned to death after using a gas stove to aid his home decorations, an inquest heard yesterday.

Mainlander Man Shui-ming, 50, attempted to heat his son-in-law's flat in Kwai Chung with a gas stove to melt pink paint on a parquet floor, the inquest was told.

16 Oct 1998 - 12:00am

Pages