Sparks from welding work were suspected to have caused the alarm No3 fire that raged in a Kwai Chung industrial building for seven hours on Thursday, injuring three firemen, a government source said yesterday.Saturday, 16 August, 2008, 12:00am
The brief was simple. The flame only needed to burn for up to 10 minutes, be about 25cm tall and be colourful.
The real challenge was altitude. Even the rebel Greek god Prometheus would struggle to keep a naked flame alight at 8,848 metres above sea level, where temperatures can plunge to minus 60 degrees Celsius.9 May 2008 - 12:00am
Today: Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce: 'What will Hong Kong's future population be like - Insights from the 2006 population by-census'.
Hong Kong Productivity Council seminar on laser and friction stir welding for lightweight alloys. HKPC Building.21 May 2007 - 12:00am
The bill for a refurbishment programme made necessary by cracks in components of East Rail trains has been slashed by HK$50 million, the KCRC said yesterday.
The repairs to the trains and replacement of irregular rail tracks found to have put the components under undue stress will cost HK$100 million, instead of the expected HK$150 million.16 Feb 2007 - 12:00am
KCRC workshop staff - commended as highly professional at the time the East Rail fractures were found - were singled out yesterday for having contributed to the problem becoming worse.13 Jul 2006 - 12:00am
The highlighted words have been chosen from the South China Morning Post's top news stories to help you improve your word power
A massive sandstorm has struck northern China, dumping more than 300,000 tonnes of sand dust in Beijing alone, creating the worst air pollution since 2003.6 Jun 2006 - 12:00am
The manufacturer of trains found by a KCRC investigation to have faulty welding has denied it supplied susbstandard stock.
But Alstom, the world's biggest train manufacturer, has launched an internal discussion to see if its quality control system needs reviewing, a spokeswoman said.5 May 2006 - 12:00am
The fee for mandatory safety training for welders could be up to $120 per worker, to be paid by employers, Commissioner of Labour Matthew Cheung Kin-chung said yesterday.
Mr Cheung said the training would target about 10,000 gas welding and cutting workers, requiring them to pass a one-day course.22 Mar 2000 - 12:00am
Labour chiefs are consulting 89 union and trade bodies on a code of practice governing welding after a blast in Yuen Long last month killed three workers.
The code, under the Factories and Industrial Undertakings Ordinance, will legally bind bosses and workers to certain practices, a Labour Department spokesman said yesterday. The consultation period will end on April 30.16 Mar 2000 - 12:00am
A union has called for separate regulations governing welding, saying the lives of more than 1,000 workers in Hong Kong have been ignored by the Government.
The Welding Industry Employees Association will help families of victims in Saturday's fatal blast at Yuen Long to seek compensation from the contractor today.14 Feb 2000 - 12:00am
Welding worker Shek Kai-yau, 37, was killed on a construction site in Plantation Road on The Peak when a dredger fell five metres down a slope and crashed on to a container used as an office. In Discovery Bay, a worker, 45, was hit in the face by a falling wooden rod on the 15th floor of a building.22 Sep 1999 - 12:00am
A jewellery firm which has paid more than $1.67 million in compensation to relatives of employees killed in the Garley Building fire has launched a High Court action against a lift company it blames for the tragedy.
Chow Sang Sang Jewellery alleges the blaze began when sparks and molten metal from welding work ignited debris left in lift shafts.5 Dec 1997 - 12:00am
A garage owner was blown up making welding repairs to a lorry's steel tank which contained diesel oil, an inquest heard yesterday.
Chu Chi-kwong, 33, died instantly in the explosion at his premises in Kung Um Road, Yuen Long, on April 28 last year.8 Aug 1997 - 12:00am
A construction worker, 41, fell 58 floors to his death while removing a welding machine from the wall of the Asia Financial Centre, Queen's Road Central.4 Mar 1997 - 12:00am
A TEENAGER suffered burns to his chest, back and hands when welding ignited paint thinner at a Western construction site. Pang Ming-chuen, 16, who was hurt at the Smithfield Road site was admitted to Queen Mary Hospital's intensive care unit in fair condition.5 Aug 1995 - 12:00am