VIETNAMESE detainees will be called on to give themselves up for deportation from today before 100 are removed from the High Island detention centre on Saturday. About 100 Vietnamese have been targeted for forced repatriation and are scheduled to depart next Wednesday in the biggest such flight. It is understood that all or most of those who will be deported are from High Island's north camp and were the subjects of a controversial raid at the Whitehead camp last April in which hundreds of rounds of tear-gas were fired during a transfer operation. This is the third consecutive forced repatriation operation targeting the ex-Whitehead people - a pattern Refugee Concern has repeatedly criticised as unnecessary. A government source said the thinking behind the raids on the north camp was that it was a 'known evil' and was easier to deal with than the massive Whitehead camp. Only about 750 people are being held in High Island's north camp. The Security Branch, which administers the forced repatriation programme, would not comment on the flight details. Sources told the South China Morning Post the names of targets would be released today and that 'counselling' would begin immediately. The counselling will continue until tomorrow and involves encouraging people to leave the camp for transfer to Victoria Prison. Any boat people who refuse to leave will be forced out on Saturday by teams of Correctional Services Department officers. In September, several Vietnamese remained on the roofs of huts for two days before they were removed in a military-style assault. Like the last flight on November 25 when 70 people were returned, a Royal Brunei aircraft will be used for the transfer to Hanoi. The commercial Royal Brunei passenger aircraft was brought into use after a Hercules, the aircraft used on past operations, crashed on takeoff at Kai Tak in September. Since then, disciplined service personnel have been campaigning for an improved insurance package if they are to continue providing security and escort details. A government spokesman said yesterday the issue was still being examined. But it is understood that police and Correctional Services Department representatives, the Civil Service Branch and the Finance Branch are close to reaching an agreement. It is not known if the new package will be in place before the next flight. About 22,500 people remain in Hong Kong's detention centres but only about 200 people were deported last year under the Government's forced repatriation programme. The programme was suspended after the Governor, Chris Patten, ordered an inquiry into the April 7 raid at Whitehead.