A BUSINESSMAN wanted in the United States on charges of stealing magazines and a cheque for almost US$3,000 (about HK$23,000) was told he could leave Hong Kong yesterday after the US withdrew an application for his extradition. Eastern Court Magistrate Jonathan Acton-Bond was not told why the application had been withdrawn. It is unusual for US authorities to drop an extradition case. Antonio Ongsiako, 25, had remained in Hong Kong since his arrest on September 3 last year. He was granted bail of $500,000 cash and $500,000 surety after 15 days' detention. After his client was discharged, defence solicitor Melville Boase asked for costs. The magistrate refused, saying he did not have jurisdiction to demand costs from the US Government. Mr Boase said last night the American authorities had displayed a 'cavalier' attitude and had abused the extradition procedure, causing massive disruption to his client's work and family life. He said Mr Ongsiako, a Filipino, had not been allowed to leave Hong Kong while the application for extradition was outstanding, only to discover at the last moment the case against him had been withdrawn. 'This is one of the dangers of the extradition procedure, where the Government here is not accountable for its actions because it's acting solely in accordance with its treaty with the United States,' Mr Boase said. Mr Ongsiako, a Guam-based businessman contracted to supply magazines to American troops, was accused of stealing a bundle of magazines, 8,000 magazine covers and a cheque for US$2,928.45. He said he would now leave Hong Kong as soon as possible.