THE family of the Hong Kong manager jailed in connection with the Shenzhen Zhili factory fire is considering appealing for a sentence reduction following the early release of his former boss on Tuesday. The family said it was unfair that Leung Kin-kwok, who was jailed for three years in December, had not been released, while the factory's Hong Kong representative, Lo Chiu-chuen, who was given two years, was allowed out. The Hong Kong Christian Industrial Committee said Mr Lo's imprisonment was just a 'show' and he had been released to placate investors. Mr Lo's wife, Lo Chan Tak-ngan, said she had applied for an early release for her husband because he had been sick. She said Mr Lo was given a nine-month reduction in sentence for 'good behaviour'. He was detained for 13 months prior to sentencing. Mrs Lo said her husband did not want to comment for fear it would affect their business. He is resting at a relative's home. Mrs Lo said: 'We are very happy. We have not yet got over the excitement. He said he was very frightened during the detention, but felt relieved after the sentencing, because he at least had an idea about when he could be released.' Leung's father, Leung Kin-ping, said the family would consider applying for an early release for his son after learning of Mr Lo's freedom. 'It is unfair that my son got a heavier penalty than the boss. My son had quit the job before the fire took place,' Mr Leung said. Mr Lo's Hong Kong legal consultant, Priscilla Leung Mei-fun, said the authorities should allow an early release for Leung if his conduct was good. She agreed his sentence was unfair. A Shenzhen Intermediate People's Court judge, Professor Yuan Chengdi, said: 'He [Lo] was not discharged but given bail for medical treatment . . . which is made in accordance with a person's physical condition and the release's possible impact on society.' Asked if Leung's sentence was unfair, he said: 'The judgment is based on a person's responsibility in causing the fire, not his position in the factory.' Mr Lo is the director of Hong Kong Trico Industries Limited which supplied material to mainland factories, including Longgang's Zhili Handicraft Factory which burned down in November 1993, killing 87 people and injuring 51. Longgang District Court ruled the two Hong Kong men, the mainland manager Huang Guoguang and electrician Liu Guangwan were responsible for the deaths because the factory's sealed windows and blocked exits caused the fatalities. Huang and Liu were sentenced to six years' and two years' jail respectively. A Hong Kong Christian Industrial Committee spokesman said investors needed to be taught a lesson because many factories' safety conditions had not improved. A Shenzhen Fire Bureau spokesman, however, said the situation had shown improvement.