A TSUEN WAN arson attack that made more than 80 people homeless has prompted government action to improve the living conditions for Hong Kong's cagemen. Home Affairs Department director Joseph Wong Wing-ping said yesterday that the Government would find space for those made homeless in the fire, allocating them beds in the territory's 17 Singleton hostels. He also said the Government would issue, sooner than planned, detailed guidelines to ensure conditions improved for those now living in cage apartments. Mr Wong was visiting the victims of last Saturday's Yeung Uk Road fire at their temporary quarters in the Princess Alexandra Community Centre, Tsuen Wan. Three people were killed in the blaze and another three injured. Police said there was evidence pointing to arson but believed the suspect was among the dead. The Bedspace Licensing Regulations took effect last November, with the Government aiming to have all existing cage homes inspected within two years. To date, some 150 cage apartments have been registered and now have temporary licences. Details on what upgrading work is necessary will be made known by the end of the year and official licences will subsequently be issued some time in 1996. The weekend fire, however, was a shocking reminder that the Government must not be lax in this area and Mr Wong revealed that the Housing Department would introduce measures to pick up the pace. 'It takes some time for the apartments to meet the fire and structural safety requirements,' he said. 'Rather than sending out detailed guidelines to all landlords by the end of this year, we will consider doing it in groups so some apartments could be improved earlier.' Mr Wong said the department would also hone its procedures for conducting thorough inspections of all apartments. The homeless cagemen have applied for new shelters and emergency relief funds, and will receive government assistance plus $3,000 each from Yan Chai Hospital. One of the cagemen, Chan Wing, 68, a caretaker, said he did not want to leave Tsuen Wan. He had lived there for 24 years and was worried about finding a job outside the area. Mr Chan could at least console himself yesterday with the fact he had recovered photographs of his family, who he had not seen since 1958. 'Fortunately, the pictures had not been damaged, although the book [he kept them in] was wet and burnt a little,' he said.