AN alarm which would have alerted security guards to the fatal chemical spill at the University of Science and Technology was disabled shortly after it had been installed, an inquiry has found. A draft final report - obtained by the South China Morning Post - attributed the accident to flaws in the safety inspection system, 'arbitrary policy' on storage of toxic chemicals and insufficient safety training. The inquiry was launched when chemistry postgraduate, Richard Leung Wai-cheuk, 25, died after inhaling spilt chemicals. In the absence of a warning, he had entered the room where chemicals had been spilled. The draft report said the university's Safety and Environmental Protection Office had asked for an alarm system which would alert security when the emergency ventilation system was activated. It said: 'The system was demonstrated at the end of November 1993. It was disabled only a week later at the request of the Director of OLS [Office of Laboratory Services]. '[The safety office], which was not notified of this, only became aware that the alarm was inoperable after the accident on April 4, 1995.' Security arrived at the scene 30 minutes after the spill. Although the emergency ventilation system was activated 15 minutes after the accident, it did not sound any audible alarm, the report said. The taskforce which wrote the report recommended that laboratory areas be equipped with easily identified general emergency alarm buttons that give audible and visible warnings of a hazard in the area and automatically summon emergency assistance. The victim's father, Leung Yan, 63, last night said: 'Negligence was found in the first report. The second one revealed the level of negligence was even more serious. The university should be held responsible. 'My son should have been warned where the spill took place. He would not have entered that room.' Members said both the security office and office of laboratory services were responsible for 'factors contributing to the tragic consequences' of the spill. The report also found the refusal by the management of Dangerous Goods Stores to store materials not bought through an allied office had led to the storage of excessive amounts of hazardous materials in the laboratories, thereby increasing the risk of accidents. Members recommended the Dangerous Goods Stores be required to store, on demand, dangerous goods presented to it. 'The removal, after the accident, of more than 60 kilograms of such [hazardous] chemicals from the Department of Chemistry's laboratories indicates the extent of the problem,' they said. They said the accident indicated 'there are flaws in the system of safety inspections', because cabinets holding toxic chemicals could be tipped forward. The two bottles of chemicals which the student inhaled were broken after the storage cabinet was accidentally knocked by a research assistant. The university refused to comment last night.