LEGCO candidates are the newest victims of Hong Kong's appetite for redevelopment. Some are experiencing the problem of 'missing' voters - people on the electoral roll who have moved because their homes have been demolished. Tam Yiu-chung, the DAB's hopeful in Kowloon Southeast, found about 20 public housing blocks had disappeared when he tried to visit voters. Some blocks, scattered on the Lam Tin and Sau Mau Ping estates, are now construction sites, he said. Mr Tam is questioning why residents are still on the roll, when some of the redevelopment has been under way for years. Voters register themselves for elections, but once they are on the roll, the same information is used each time. People who moved have failed to re-register at their new address - but Mr Tam says some of the blame must fall on the Government. He says the Housing Department should have told other relevant departments what was going on. And election mail sent to the non-existent addresses would have been returned, he said. Mr Tam has lost contact with more than 500 voters. A total of 134,500 voters are registered for the constituency, which covers a number of old public estates, private buildings, and also new privately run estates. 'They are only a small portion of voters, but this helps reflect the problem that the Registration and Electoral Office and the relevant government departments are not efficient enough in updating voter information,' he said. He said he had approached the Electoral Office, but it said it was doing all it could to cross-check and renew voters' particulars. The ADPL's Liu Sing-lee has had the same experience in Kowloon Central. He noticed at least one building in the Lok Fu estate had 'disappeared', but the voter information remained the same. Mr Liu was told by the Electoral Office that the Government would ask all residents affected to fill in a new form, and the names would be deleted from the roll if they did not reply. 'But the official said there would be a time lag during which they would not be able to update the voters information in time,' he said. Another contestant in Kowloon Southeast, the Democratic Party's Fred Li Wah-ming, said the problem had already improved since the district board elections last September. He said 500 voters 'is a very insignificant proportion'. And Kowloon West candidate, Frederick Fung Kin-kee of the ADPL, said he had had no problems. The provisional electoral roll was published for public inspection in June and the finalised one came out on August 1. More than 2,565,000 people are registered to vote, which is about a quarter of the total Hong Kong population.